Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 my Dad and I back from Kansas ( 2 bucks taken - pics ) >

my Dad and I back from Kansas ( 2 bucks taken - pics )

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

my Dad and I back from Kansas ( 2 bucks taken - pics )

Old 11-06-2004, 09:40 AM

Default my Dad and I back from Kansas ( 2 bucks taken - pics )

I am very privaleged to get to go to KS about every year (for 4 years now) and archery whitetail hunt. Fantastic lands my buddy and his Dad get me access to.

Anyway, we started hunting last Saturday for big bucks. Saturday and Sunday we only saw little bucks like this one.

On Monday we moved to an area I've hunted one year but never saw anything on. Lots of buck rubs and scrapes, lots of deer tracks. An East to West running creek, lots of cover, alfalfa bottoms and standing corn. 42 degrees was the high and a 35 mph north wind. We drove back to one area, removed stands, drove back and went in to hang them. My Dad chose a creek crossing to hang his stand in. He hung the stand, then went back to the truck to change into hunting clothes. He got into his stand at 2:45 pm. At 3 pm he looked behind him and saw a big buck crossing the creek behind him. As it came around his tree, he drew and shot. Perfect quarter away shot, entered the last ribs and lodged in the far shoulder.

He's a mainframe 8 pointer. Great mass, nice main beams, a 5th point on his left side and a great drop tine 12" long with velvet on it. Probably a 275-300 pound live weight buck - just huge. His right ear was torn in half and his body littered with puncture marks and bruises from fighting. Just a great buck.

My goal was to shoot a P&Y buck with my longbow again. After two days of shooting (practice) from my stands, and after wounding (and losing) a buck 2 weeks ago, my confidence was shot. After Dad killed his buck, I shot 8-10 shots with his Q2 and took it hunting. Tues I saw a great 160" class 10 pointer - no shot. On Wed, I decided to hunt Dad's stand and lightening almost struck twice !

I climbed in and sat down and looked up and there was a doe coming down the creek, 75 yards and looking at me. She had seen me climb in the stand, but wasn't sure what I was (wind in my favor). Behind her was the biggest whitetail I've ever seen on hoof. He was 24" wide if he was an inch. Long main beams, but his tines was what set him in a 180" class. 12" tines from G2 all the way out - just unreal huge. He and the doe milled around for 30 minutes and got to within 35-40 yards and she turned and went back the way she'd come. I honestly think had I gotten into my stand 10 minutes earlier she'd have led that buck right to me and I'd have a B&C whitetail buck on my wall.

Thursday I watched the 160" 10 pointer for 3 hours, he never came any closer than 40 yards tending does. Friday morning saw me sitting the stand where I've been seeing this buck and right after shooting light got good I had this doe come in. She was hot - holding her tail out and I got ready for the shot. The buck came and he had a great 4 point one side, and his other a freaky split beam looking thing and I knew I would take this deer if I could. I waited until he passed my stand and shot him a bit quartering away. I took out his heart, unreal blood trail and another KS buck tag filled ! I've never seen a non-typical in the field - and am tickled to get this buck. He's got a 24 1/2 inch main beam on his good 4 point side, 11" and 9" tines. The one side is a split main beam. The eye gaurd splits and comes right across his forehead. I think theres 9 countable 1" or longer points on that side, and the solid 4 point.

We used a Mathews Q2, 55 pounds and carbon arrows with Firstcut broadheads. Both deer dropped within 75 yards of the shots.

Old 11-06-2004, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: my Dad and I back from Kansas ( 2 bucks taken - pics )

Congrats SC!! Those are two awesome bucks!! I'm glad to see both you and your dad had a successful trip to KS. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:48 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats to you and your father Stealthy. Awesome bucks and both nontypicals! Fantastic! That droptined is a trophy of a lifetime! Great job!
Old 11-06-2004, 09:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Awesome hunt, StealthyCat! Congrats to you and your dad!!!
Old 11-06-2004, 10:05 AM

Congratulations!!! Those are some nice looking deer.

Joe
Old 11-06-2004, 10:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

GEE your so lucky to hunt a place like that,Great deer and shooting
Old 11-06-2004, 11:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

The one you got has a great non-typical rack. Congrats to both you and your dad.
Old 11-06-2004, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Both very nice bucks, congratulations!!!

Sounds like a dream place to hunt.
Old 11-06-2004, 12:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Great story and some fine looking bucks there SC. Pictures are very good, congrats to Dad and you.
Old 11-06-2004, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the great success. You just got me all fired up about going back home, KS. that is TOTO! Man, I've got two more weeks to wait. My brother that does all the farming on our farm, tells me he has seen three wall hangers, now if I can only have a lucky star shine on me like you and your dad did!!

Quick Reply: my Dad and I back from Kansas ( 2 bucks taken - pics )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.