Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Ground Blind Hunters >

Ground Blind Hunters

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ground Blind Hunters

Old 11-05-2004, 09:08 AM

Default Ground Blind Hunters

I have decided to try some ground blind hunting and I have a couple Double Bulls on the way. My question is, what is everyone doing for a chair? Are yall using like those fold up camp chairs or a Laz-Y-Boy or what? Thanks for the input. Also any other tips as far as gear organization in the blind that anyone has found useful. Good Luck to everyone.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ground Blind Hunters

I purchased the chair that comes from Double Bull when I got my blind. Only advice I can give you is wear dark clothing inside. As far as equipment inside the blind goes, bring in anything that isn't very long (other than your bow of course) and you should be good to go.

What else has helped immensely is the bow holder I also purchased from Double Bull. It is well worth it. It alleviates you from having to lay your bow on the ground which can take up a lot of foot room.

Play the wind for sure and cover that thing up with leaves, branches and anything else to camo it good.

They are a very different and exciting perspective.

Good luck!
Old 11-05-2004, 09:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

What else has helped immensely is the bow holder I also purchased from Double Bull
How exactly does that work? Where do you hang it from? The bow on the ground is the only thing I found that I don't like so far with the ground blind. I end up with it laying across my lap.

I just bought an Ameristep a few days ago. Using it in a couple different places where stands aren't an option. 1st time setting it up I was putting the stakes in the ground and trimming som twigs on the ground and I looked up to see a 6 pointer about 20 yards away from me. I was convinced pretty quick... he had no clue I was there.

As far as a chair. I have one of those triangle fold up things. Works pretty good, but I like your lazy boy idea.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:04 AM
Typical Buck

I have an ameristep penthouse blind. I also bought a small folding swivel stool that they sell. It has a tripod base and seat that swivels 360 degrees and is super quiet. The only thing i dont like about it is that it needs to be a little taller in order for me to see good out the large window that i have open.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Speaking of windows..... I'm new at the whole pop up blind thing. How many windows do you guys have open? Do you use the small ones to shoot out of or do you open the big one? Do you get busted if you have 2 big shooting windows open? Any tips?
Old 11-05-2004, 10:23 AM
Typical Buck

I could of had a Turkey this year if I wasn't sitting in a chair. Make sure its something you can move out of easily and with little movement!

Turkey hunting we used the big window in the Dog house with no problems. But the deer sure looked at it funny with that big black hole.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:08 AM
Typical Buck

My penthouse blind has 2 small windows on each side and 1 big one on each side. The small ones are tombstone shaped and have a camo mess that can be put over them when opened. The main thing to remember is not to have two windows straight across from each other open. That lets the deer see completely through and silohuettes you. Usually what i do is i open one big window in the direction i expect the deer to pass through and where i have a good shooting lane. Then i open two of the small ones, one underneath the big window and one on the adjacent wall that way i can watch straight out in front of me and too one side and i dont have two straight across from each other. I put the camo mesh up and it helps break it up so that there isnt a big black hole. I have only used my blind 3 times so far, i missed a doe the first time, she kept staring at the blind like she knew something was up, i didnt give her time to relax and took the shot and she jumped the string. I put i up last week and left it in the same spot all week so that they could get a little more used to it.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:27 AM

I just bought the ameristep doghouse. Still trying to figure things out with it as far as setup goes. Had it out yesterday and this morning. had a small buck walk the edge of the field heading stright to me, he stopped about 30 yds off, he knew something wasn't right. I had the small window in front of me open as well as both side windows. I don't think he saw me, but I figure they could see my shadow with both side open. I might leave it out too for a couple days and let them get used to it. I also need to pull it back from the field edge abit further.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Use a fold up sports chair .I carry it in its bag and using a bungie cord and carry it like a rifle and sling
Old 11-05-2004, 11:43 AM

blindsquirel,

I have bowhunted turkey out of a Double Bull for the last 2 years and the bowholder
that was mentioned actually sticks into the ground. it works great.
Double Bull sells them, but I actually got mine at the local sporting goods store that
has a small hunting section. Might want to check out Dick's sporting goods if there is one
near you.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Ground Blind Hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.