Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Team 4 - KCISON Buck Story and Pics (NEWLY Added) >

Team 4 - KCISON Buck Story and Pics (NEWLY Added)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Team 4 - KCISON Buck Story and Pics (NEWLY Added)

Old 11-04-2004, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Team 4 - KCISON Buck Story and Pics (NEWLY Added)

This may be a little long. I left for Kansas on Friday, Oct. 29th to begin five day hunt on Saturday morning. All my equipment made it and was in good shape for my hunt. I was pumped.

I get into my stand at 6 AM before daylight and before I can get set and strapped in, four buck appear out of nowhere. I sat motionless watching this huge body deer graze in front of me. At daylight, a huge 8 point walked in. He was a gorgeous deer and would probably make roughly 150" or just under. The outfitter had this 8 point that he asked us not to shoot, so I just watched and was able to snap a quick pic of the deer from the stand. That afternoon, the outfitter stated that that was not the off limits deer and actually he had not seen that deer before, so I went out that afternoon, with my mind set on taking the big 8 if I had the chance. This was the first day of my hunt. Around 5:30 I was glassing a big field from my stand when up stood the Big 8. He stretched and then headed in towards my stand. There was a doe in front of my at 25 yards, and I knew with the rut coming on, if she stayed, he would come in. Sure enough after watching him for 300 yards, he was within 80 of my stand and acting interested but nervous. I on the other hand had my heart racing so fast I almost couldn't stand. I don't think I had ever been this nervous deer hunting. Not sure why, but for some reason, this buck had me tore up. He crossed a small ditch and walked straight into my stand location. I took a deep breatch, which must of been too loud and he spooked. That was a stupid mistake at a critical time and I just calmed myself. The deer stayed and slowly moved into range. At what I thought was 25 yards, he stood broadside and I let one fly. SMACK...into the ground behind the deer. I had missed. 3 inches over the deer. I had never missed a live animal, ever. I was so shook up and deer was so nervous now that I couldn't get another arrow nocked. I had to watch him leave semi-alert and out. Below is a pic of the missed deer.

I was devastated. I work so hard to be consistent, it was killing me. I shook it off and went out the next day. In the morning, nothing. Went to the same stand where I had missed the 8 the second evening. The wind was blowing hard and deer movement was a little slow. Also, the time had changed and things weren't happening quick. Anyhow, I kept looking for the 8. Glassing the fields, etc. Nothing. Around 5:30 PM, I look up to see movement coming towards me. I pull my glasses up and see this high rack buck with good mass. I could see he was either a 8, 9 or 10 pointer, but it wasn't the 8. He was more massive and very impressive. When he got within 80 yards, I grabbed my bow and clipped on. I was committed. He came in on a string and stopped 20 yards away quartering slightly. I drew, placed the pin on the back of his rib cage and relased. Whack. The buck mule kicked and ran crashing off. I looked down to inspect my arrow and could see it covered in blood. Great sign. I listened and heard the buck crash. We trailed him 50 yards from the stand.

A mature Kansas 10 point. 157 1/8ths inches taken at 20 yards. My first successful trip outside the state and a beauty to remember it by.

Kelly
Old 11-04-2004, 09:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Team 4 - KCISON Buck Story and Pics

Congrats on a successful hunt!!!! I am jealous!!!
Old 11-04-2004, 10:00 AM

Nice buck congrats I know its tough. You got to hunt where they are.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:06 AM

Great story Kcison,, had my heart going 240.. Congrats. on a fine hunt!!!
Old 11-04-2004, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

WOW- Very good story! I can`t wait to see the pic`s of that eight pt. It sounds like i need to take a trip to kansas? Your story of the hunt had my hart racing and i was not even there That buck you took is awsome! Great buck and great story thanks for sharing.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Once again way to go Kelly. Great buck!

I was with you reading the story too
Old 11-04-2004, 10:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

awesome!! I'm heading right over to try to see a pic!
Old 11-04-2004, 10:56 AM

Congratulation Kelly! You've got a knack for big bucks. I can't wait to see the pic.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats that's a monster!
Old 11-04-2004, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on a fine deer, and a great hunt. Awesome story too btw - it was like I was in the stand with you. (Now, what excuse can I come up with of why I have to leave work immediately.... hmm.......)

Quick Reply: Team 4 - KCISON Buck Story and Pics (NEWLY Added)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.