Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Antis defeated in Maine! >

Antis defeated in Maine!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Antis defeated in Maine!

Old 11-03-2004, 10:55 AM

Default Antis defeated in Maine!

Election night was a long one for me and the nearly 12000 bear hunters of Maine. Ballot initative #2 sought to ban bear hunting by the use of hounds, bait, and trapping for bears. The measure was defeated in a closer then expected race 54% vote no to the ban while 46% voted to instate the ban.

http://www.bangornews.com/news/templates/?a=99063&z=6

To keep this on topic, Those of you who wish to bow hunt black bear in the State of Maine next season over bait are welcome to come and do so. For the guys from Maine, thanks for turing out to vote. It was close but everyones vote made the difference.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Antis defeated in Maine!

Ohh That's next on my list Black Bear with bow. Got any good outfitters in mind? Would appreciate any info. Feel free to PM me with any details.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:07 AM

Glad to hear it adams! The good guys win again!
Old 11-03-2004, 11:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good
Old 11-03-2004, 11:14 AM
Typical Buck

Barely passed adams....No pun intended!

This issue will come up again at the next election.. Maine was saved by only 9% adams...Thats a little too close.

Thankfully it was deafeated.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:53 AM

That's great, man! But if you could get your constituents to quit voting for Kerry and loading the House and Senate (nationally and in your state) with democrats then maybe issues like this would never make it to the ballot in the first place.

Stay vigilant and keep showing others the way.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good deal it's nice to see the good guys win every now and again.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:20 PM

Black Bear Meat = Yummy Good for you Maine hunters,, and especially you adams. I know how hard you work at keeping the sport alive for future generations.Again,, Congrats.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:24 PM

Just a heads up to the hunting communities of the world. This ballot iniciative was brought to Maine by the Humane Society of the US and the Friends of Animals. 95% of the money backing this came from out of state. Southern Maine has turned into a bedroom community for Boston and as a result a good portion of the popoulation is very liberal and their attitude reflects it. Thier mission is to divide the hunting community, which they did well, and then focus soley on emotions to get the rest of the public voting for thier anti hunting programs. Here is what I have learned. Respect all typs of hunting, even if you don't approve as long it is legal. Don't critisize other for thier chosen methods. Hunting is hunting and it takes all sorts shapes anf forms. If you have a problem with a method then don't participate or critizise. I was amazed at how many hunters voted in favor of the ban, most of which have never bear hunted, they just felt that it was important that they force thier ideology and definition of ethics on the rest of us. What they failed to realize is that by helping the anti's chip away at our sport they directly jepordise thier own future. It's when the shoe is on the other foot, and it too late that they realize they have screwed up. Hunt, be happy and respect all other typs of hunting and hunters. If we don't stick together we will all loose in the future.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:31 PM

This issue will come up again at the next election.. Maine was saved by only 9% adams...Thats a little too close
Maine has a great hunting heritage and it wasn't the law makers who got tis on the ballot. The anti's were at the last election collecting signatures to get this measure on the ballot. I've started to draft a letter to the state senators and the Maine state house to see about getting some sort of legistation that will give power over game managment strictly to the Dept of inland fisheries and wildlife. I'm not sure the legality of it but I'd like to see what can be done to get it on the ballot.

The problem is Southern Maine is growing at a rapid pace and it's mostly out of staters who have no idea what the implications of banning bear hunts by bait, hounds and trapping would do to the population and the overall managment scheme. I guess this is about always the with antis. Anyways, I hope we can get a reverse measure on the ballot for the next election if possible.

Quick Reply: Antis defeated in Maine!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.