Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The Best Mechanical >

The Best Mechanical

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The Best Mechanical

Old 11-01-2004, 07:35 PM

Default The Best Mechanical

Ok, with my recent failure of finding a nice buck I shot with a NAP Spitfire, I am doubting them.......

They seem unusually hard to open, and seem to get poor penetration even when compared to other mechanical heads, and another thing, is they cost at least $7 more than say a Rocky Mtn. Snyper.

So I am on the quest for some new mechanicals, if I can't find a good mechanical I have some Muzzy's sitting around.

I have heard good things about Rocket Mechnicals, and the Rocky Mtn. Snypers, but I wanted to get your guys opinions on them or other mechanical heads.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 11-01-2004, 07:46 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-01-2004, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The Best Mechanical

I have had very good success with the Nap Spitfires, Nap Scoprion XP's, and the Grim Reaper broadheads. All are very good...the only downfall is that the Nap Scorpion requires the small rubberbands....and the Spitfires and Grim Reapers don't.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:33 PM

My vote is for the Scorpion XP's. I have used just about every mechanical out there and
I always end up with 4 Scorpion XP's in my quiver every November morning. I have 100% confidence in this head.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

The 2 you listed are the best for lower energy setups.

The Spitfire's are one of the worst for low energy setups.Over the years that I have been drifting in and out of this forum,that seems to be the biggest complaint about the Spitfires.I also have noticed many of the hunting shows that use them seem to never get a passthrough.Even with setups that you would think should have no problems.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most "broadhead failures" are really hunter failures. It's either bad shot placement, picking the wrong head for your individual setup or some other factor that the hunter did not consider. Spittfires will get the job done, but they do require more KE than many other heads. They have a large cut and open slower, therefore they tend to not penetrate as well as smaller heads. If you have plenty of KE it's not big deal, but if your "under gunned" or on the edge and you hit bone or have a hard quartering shot you may not get full penetration. In order to recommend a head for you I need to know more about your setup. Draw weight, length, arrow speed and weight if you know them. With this info we can make an informed choice on what broadhead would best suit your setup.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

3shot, 5shot is the man on broadheads, welcome to the board.
Old 11-02-2004, 05:31 AM
Typical Buck

Just shoot thunderhead 125's and be done with it
Old 11-02-2004, 05:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Despite the blade sharpness and short number of thread issues I will still offer up the Rocket Steelhead 100 as my personal favorite mechanical. Its short overall length, modest cutting diameter and one piece solid steel ferrule allow it to provide awesome penetration and very good entrance and exit wounds.

I took a buck and a doe this year with that head and am totally confident in its performance.

By most accounts the 125 grain version is even more reliable.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have used the Shockwave 100's for the past several years. I have never lost a deer and 99% have expired within 50 yds. I know I have taken at least 15 deer with them in fact I have taken 5 with the same head with only sharpening the blades. I love them . Give them a try you will really like them but as stated they are only as good as the archer behind them.

Quick Reply: The Best Mechanical

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.