Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 "Scent Blocker" a Gimmick? >

"Scent Blocker" a Gimmick?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"Scent Blocker" a Gimmick?

Old 11-04-2004, 02:45 PM

Default RE: "Scent Blocker" a Gimmick?

If you are referring to activated carbon clothing, yes I believe it helps. However it is only a small part of the puzzle. If you are not bathing using odorless soap/shampoo or keeping the rest of your clothes and boots clean (scent free), then I wouldn't invest in carbon activated clothes. To be as scent free as possible takes meticulous preparation besides wearing Scent Lok clothing or spraying on coverup. I have heard the greatest source of odor is the head (hair) and breath, yet nobody seems to talk much about "bad breath". Anyone have any experience with the special made-for-deer hunting chewing gum?
Old 11-04-2004, 02:48 PM

Save your money and use baking soda. I bought 2 scent blocker suits and both seemed
to loose effectivness after about one year.
Have you tried reactivating the suit? You should get more than one year out of it if you follow the care instructions.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gimmick.

You can put anything on the shelves that tell a bowhunter, "This will get you more deer!", and they will buy it.

I've been hunting many years and can assure you that if the wind is wrong, you are busted. The other day I was in the stand with a strong wind blowing in my face. I hadn't showered all day, never practice any scent control of any kind and a buck came wandering down the trail behind me. The deer came to my tree, sniffed the rope I had my dirty hands on not more than 20 minutes prior, looked up, and went about his business. Point is, the wind was right that day for keeping my scent above his nose even though it was blowing right at him. Thermals, wind direction, barometer, temp... all these things have a lot more to do with seeing deer than any scent lock suit could ever provide. And why would you pay $300+ for a coat that is as noisy as a washing machine, and made in China or Bangladesh or Vietnam to boot?
Old 11-04-2004, 05:11 PM

I was reading an article that I think suggests a good alternative to buying the expensive scent free suits. OK, Scent Lok, what does that mean? You are locking in your scent to keep it from getting past your base layers. What if you just got something like a carbon blast or white lightning, turn your clothes inside-out and spray them down with your scent killer of choice. You're going to #1 kill the bacteria that creates smell on your body, and also trap in your stink. I'm thinking of trying it, what does everyone think?

By the way, my current strategy is wash my clothes in a scent killer detergent, put all my clothes in a sealed rubbermaid container, through in the appropriate scent wafer, fresh earth for me, and take a shower using a scent-free soap.

Another thing I was thinking on the breathe subject, brush your teeth with some baking soda in the morning and scrub your tongue while you're at it. Maybe that will work, but I don't know how you would maintain it througout the day since your mouth will accumulate bacteria throughout the day.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:31 PM

GO TO WWW.FASTESTBOWS.COM AND CLICK ON COLUMNS, THEN CLICK ON COLUMNIST ARTICLES. THERE IS A TWO PART ARTICLE BY MICHAEL CORRIGAN THAT YOU'LL FIND "VERY INTERESTING." IT CHANGED MY OPINION ON THEM.
Old 11-05-2004, 05:51 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-05-2004, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am a firm believer. I've been in situations that I've seen other guys get busted in. Maybe I take more precautions and work at being a scent free a little harder, but I tend to think that scent blocker products give me the extra edge.

If nothing else, I get extra confidence.

Kelly
Old 11-06-2004, 12:41 PM

I'll just tell you one thing, I don't own one piece of scent lock or any other brand. Yesterday morning I had two does and ayoung buck wander and bed down within 25 yards of my ladder stand for at laest 2.5 hours. At one time one of the does even walked up to my ladder sniffed it and licked it, then walked between my ladder and the tree.

Just wash in scent free detergent and store in a sealed container!
Just my 2cents.
Old 11-06-2004, 01:53 PM
Dominant Buck

Losthwy ,
if you want to try carbon clothes on the cheap get some Army chemical suits here: Sportsman's Guide and try them for yourself . It's $15 for a jacket/pants combo , and they have more activated carbon than Scent Blocker ever thought of having . You can just wear them for a week or two and throw them away . Almost like having rent-a-Scent Blocker .

I've worn them during our gun season , or at least when it gets cold enough , for the last 4 years , and yes they do work somewhat . They don't last forever , sooner or later Scent Blocker "plugs up" and becomes just overpriced camo . No , it is impossible to "reactivate" carbon in your home dryer , don't believe that crap . I've had deer approach to within feet of me as long as I didn't move while wearing it , so I have reason to believe that when brand new they do work as advertised . But then , I've also had them approach to within feet of me while using cover scent , or even just playing the wind . I have , however , had deer approach without alarm from downwind while wearing carbon . I call that testimony enough to say get some , but buy what's cheapest .
Old 11-06-2004, 07:43 PM

Whether Scent-Lok works or not doesn't matter. Too many less expensive ways to fool a deer's nose for me to plunk down that kind of cash. I agree with all the posts about scent-free soap, clothes washed in baking soda, and using home-made scent-killer spray. After washing, spray all your clothes down with scent, allow to dry outside, store in scent-free bags, and do not put them on until you get out of the truck to hunt. Yeah, it sucks changing clothes outside when temps are below freezing, but so what. I also spray a camo bandana with scent killer and wear it over my mouth. You can take scent-free to any extreme, but any little thing you do will help some. Most importantly, hunt the wind! My $.02

Quick Reply: "Scent Blocker" a Gimmick?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.