Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

success

Old 10-30-2004, 04:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default success

Well its been a great week.
On monday evening i was able to hunt. I decided to hunt a stand that had been produceing a good bit of activity for me thus far, lots of small bucks and does. I got my second look at a Nice 8 as well but it got dark b4 he got in. So monday i got settled in about 4:00. At 430 i saw a doe. at 5 3 more doe. At about 5:15 i did a grunt and estrus bleat sequence. As soon as i finished i heard crashing in a thicket about 50-60 yards away. I didnt see anything though. At 5:30 i did the sequence again and again heard the crashing. This time that nice 8 point materialized out of the thicket to my left and stood about 60 yrds away looking for the sound. I waited not wanting to give away my position by calling while he was alert. he stood perfectly still for 5 minutes. Then instead of coming toward me he started walking paralle to my stand across the logging road and directly infront of my stand about 50 yrds away. When he got into a small group of trees i hit the call again. he stopped and i hit the primos can two more times. He turned on a dime and came toward me on the trail that would give me an 18 yrd shot. I was pumped. He was headed for a tree and when he got there I was going to draw, but when he got there he turned and headed back to the original thicket. Thankfully though he stopped about 25 yards away and turned just slighlty quartering away. The lord blessed me by allowing me to place a perfect double lung pass through shot that barely clipped the top of the heart. He went about 50 yard and i heard im crash. This was my best bow buck and i feel very blessed to get him. One nice thing was i had watched this deer since summer, patterned him and then i got to finish the deal.

Today,
I was hunting the family farm back home and hadnt got to spen much time there so i was just putting up my climber based on past hunting and scouting. Thankfully it worked. I got up late but still managed to get in my stand just before daylight. I am usually not an overly aggressive user of calls but i decided i dont get to hunt here often so what the heck. AT 745 i started hitting the can. At 7:50 i heard the tell tale crunch. I saw a small 3 point basiclly going crazy looking for the "doe". He was runnign in circles with his nose to the ground. He ran off. I kept hitting the can. I beleive i used a sequence of 3 bleats two grunts, 3 more bleats a trailing grunt sereis and a couple more bleats, a lot more agressive than usual but like i said i was experimenting. I soon heard the grunch again. This time it was a nice 7 point. He was acting just like the 3 point. but like the 8 point monday he stopped and i hit the call again. When i did it was like he was on a string. I drew at 10 yrds when he was behind a tree and when he slowed his trot at 3 yards i settled the pin on his vitals and touched the release. I watche him fall and soon had my hands on another nice buck.

I feel god has really blessed me with these two deer. The meat is important to my wife and I but i love a good size rack as much as the next. These hunts were also both very exciting. Theres not hunting like bowhunting, but its all good.

TG
Old 10-30-2004, 04:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: success

way to go wv. sounds like your having a great season
Old 10-30-2004, 04:51 PM

WoW!! Loved the way you "called'' Them in == Way to go
Congrats. on a great season
Great stories, please post some pictures. So we can really enjoy your season too.
Old 10-30-2004, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations on a great season so far!!
Old 10-30-2004, 05:22 PM
Fork Horn

i forgot to mention ill post pics as soon as i get them scanned onto the comp.
Old 10-30-2004, 05:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good day for sure. Everytime I tried any kind of grunt,the can or rattling in Pa they run like hay the other way.I,ve done it in other states.but here in my section of pa. I have tried it and it seems they are scared of it.Could it be in a area where the hunting pressuere is so high they have learned the difference in a real animal and a call ? Heck last year I used the can and some hunter started grunting back.
Old 10-30-2004, 05:48 PM
Fork Horn

cardeer which part of pa you in. i do most of my hunting near the pa wv border
Old 10-30-2004, 05:58 PM

Great job on taking your deer.I'm in cabell county and haven't seen any signs of chasing yet. Maybe the action is at night because the trails around me are well used.
Old 10-30-2004, 06:04 PM

Congratulations on both of your bucks!
Like Cardeer I have had no success with the Can. Must be that the PA bucks know the difference. ...
Old 10-31-2004, 12:21 AM

Congrats. Great story. I live 3 min. from the WV. line here in western Md. and have
never tried the can yet. I have grunted several bucks in though. Might need to invest in
one soon. And being blessed by God is great. I thank him every time I harvest one.
Good Hunting.

Quick Reply: success

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.