Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting in the rain >

Hunting in the rain

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting in the rain

Old 10-30-2004, 01:40 PM

Default Hunting in the rain

Does anyone hunt in the rain? One area I hunt it seems everytime it rains the bucks are very active. For 4 years in a row now I have seen them in light rain to heavy downpours. The second question would you shoot one in the rain when you could lose a blood trail. I have held back on a shot in heavier rain but have taken deer with a light drizzle. Friday a downpour started. I made it into a ground blind with a roof and could watch 2 field edges. About 30 minutes it looked like a deer parade. Wondering if anyone else has ever seen this
Old 10-30-2004, 01:52 PM

Default RE: Hunting in the rain

No kidding, i would'nt have thought they would be out in this. Go figure, just when the experts tell ya not too, Ca-Blam! another person catches a monster in the opposite advice.
I am starting to feel like the AFLAC duck AIEE!![&:]
Old 10-30-2004, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've generally found that the rain doesn't have an effect on my area deer. We see just as many and we've tagged just as many. In fact, we've generally found that a light rain with generally increase deer movement. The factor that will supress the deer in most of my areas are what we have today.... 40mph winds! I realize that many wll play ethics police and "strongly suggest" that one does NOT hunt in the rain. I say, you just have to be that much more careful about shot selection and you generally won't be tracking very long anyways. Granted in a driving downpour I wouldn't want to take the shot or if darkness is close at hand I wouldn't want to risk it BUT that still leaves many hours in a day one could confidently take the shot. Best advice I could give is to buy some quality rain gear and make yourself comfortable. Besides, even the folks that will tell ya not to hunt in the rain will tell ya that some of the very best hunting can be as soon as the "storm" passes. I'd rather already be in my treestand.
Old 10-30-2004, 05:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

No not me,Dont like the possibilty the rain wll wash away a blood trail
Old 10-30-2004, 05:56 PM

I hate it. It is one thing to be on stand waiting on buck and just hoping one shows up or you get to watch some doe. However, to be on stand and wet, uncomfortable and miserable is totally demoralizing and I can't stand it. I will hunt in sprinkle or drizzle, but if it becomes steady rain then I generally head for the house. I just hate hunting in the rain.

TBO
Old 10-30-2004, 06:02 PM
Typical Buck

I hunt from a blind when it rains if I go out & seem to see as many deer if not a bit more. I think they encounter less hunters on rainy days & feel safer. I'd shoot if it was raining so long as its not a downpour, shot placement is more important tho & I have passed on shots I would have otherwise have taken.
Old 10-30-2004, 06:14 PM
kec

I love hunting in the rain - no one else is out! If its on/off showers or light rain/drizzle I'm in the woods. If its gonna be a soaker or rain steady all day - i'll stay in... like CARDEER says - too tough to find blood in those conditions. However-I will gun hunt in a steady rain.
Old 10-30-2004, 06:26 PM

i duck hunt in the rain
Old 10-30-2004, 07:25 PM

I dont hunt in a downpour.

Ohio Hunter 88
Old 10-30-2004, 07:35 PM

I agree deer seem to feel less pressured in the rain.. I have seen them almost carefree.. If it isnt lightening Im out in it..

Quick Reply: Hunting in the rain

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.