Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 PSE Primos or Parker Phoenix? >

PSE Primos or Parker Phoenix?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

PSE Primos or Parker Phoenix?

Old 10-26-2004, 10:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default PSE Primos or Parker Phoenix?

My mother, sister, and I are purchasing my father a new bow for Xmas. I've pretty much narrowed it to the Parker Phoenix and the PSE Primos. I can get both bows for about the same price. This is going to be a total suprise... so I can't really have him shoot the bows 1st before he decides.

The bow will be replacing his old XI Legend... and he would like some more speed.. but he's more worried about a nice hunting bow w/ the occasional practice 3D... so he could care less about what is "cool." The bow will be a 60# model I'm sure.. w/ about a 29" draw.

I know both are great bows.. and I personally love the way both shoot. I can't really say one is better than the other.. just different.

Just thought I'd ask what you guys thought.. and if any of you have compared these 2 bows.

Please don't come on here and say "those suck you need a 'brand X'.. blah blah blah... "

Much appreciated...

KB
Old 10-27-2004, 06:55 AM

Default RE: PSE Primos or Parker Phoenix?

parker, parker, parker!!!!
Old 10-27-2004, 06:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well I can only give you my experience with Parker, and it isn't good. Within three years of having the bow, I had the bottom limb break twice. Sure, costomer service was good and replaced them both times, but I have no confidence in the bow, and I use it as my backup now.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:02 AM

some like fords some like chevs some like dodge its a matter of preference.same in bows go with gift certi.then he can get what he is most comfortable with.keep the blah blah blah out it tends to turn people off
Old 10-27-2004, 07:05 AM

Definately go with the PSE, although i am a bowtech guy to the bone even i loved that pse primos when i shot it what a great forgiving bow with good speed, also have a few friends that own parkers and have had problems wiht them like Bobco said limbs breaking one guys riser cracked and one other guys bottom limb just flew out of the limb pocket, keep in mind these were not guys that were abusing the bows either they were experienced archerys shooting well within the five grains per pound minimum, i would say go with the pse your dad will be very pleased!
Old 10-27-2004, 07:36 AM

I have some experience with PSE as I've owned two. I shot the primos before I decided I wanted the firestorm lite(I just like the small bow) but I loved the feel of the primos. I liked it enough that I added the PSE NV System to my firestorm before I picked it up.
As far as PSE products in general, I shot a Thunderflight express for 12 years and never had any issues with it. I've called PSE customer service with a couple of question and they are extremely helpful as well as the PSE people on the PSE message board. I have yet to have an opportunity to test the warrenty. Pse says lifetime warrenty and the way their products hold up I have no doubt about it.

As far as Parker I can't and won't comment as I don't have any real experience with their products.

Either way I'd say he'll be a happy man!

keep the blah blah blah out it tends to turn people off
I'm not turned off at all I know exactly what you mean K.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

My husband is a MQI shooter for 8 years and has been hard to get him to shoot much else ... but he did win a free PSE bow of his choice and he was wanting the Primos... he liked the combination of the ATA length,4lb bow weight, Speed and the 8 inch brace height.... although they didnt have that in stock he had to settle for a different model, which he was very dissapointed because he had his heart set on the Primos.
Make sure you read the PSE Bow Warrenty.
As for myself I am a fan of the Parker Compound Bows, I currently own 3 Parker Bows... 2 Ultra Lite 31's and the Parker Phoenix 34. I am very happy with the Phoenix 34.I shoot the Phoenix at a 26 inch draw at 50-60 lbs but mainly shoot it set at 57lbs.
Are you looking at the Phoenix 36 for your father?
The Phoenix 36 has a lower brace height of 6.75 compared to the Primo's 8 inch brace height, the Phoenix is matched in weight at 4lbs, same speed of 305 IBO, ATA is just a bit smaller.
I have never drawn or shot the Primo's so my comparisons are simply on paper
I find the Parker Phoenix 34 to be extremely quiet at the shot with all the Simm's additions to the bow... in fact I do believe it is the quietest bow I have shot, the setup with the new inline riser design really does aid in a quicker setup... they also come with the new Synprene grip which many a shooter praise but I myself am not a fan of the grip... based on I shoot an extremely low wrist grip.
The Phoenix is a very smooth drawing bow with a nice wall at full draw.... it dosent want to jump forward at full draw out of the hand when I relax, which makes it a dream to hold at full draw for extended periods of time.
Plus ya gotta love the camo idler wheel and cam....
I did switch the string out for a Stone Mountain Dakota Prestreched String and Harness... it seems a bit quieter and picked up a small amount of speed.
Check out the Parker Compound Bow warrenty... Parker has Top Notch Customer Service.
I think that if you all do decide on the Phoenix your father will be very happy with the bow, but what ever Brand Bow you all decide on your Father is a Lucky man to have kids like you going such a nice thing for him
I have taken a Turkey and 160lb Whitetail Doe with my Parker Phoenix 34 so far this year so I am very impressed with the bows performance
My Setup,

Parker Phoenix 34
Toxonics Sight
GKF Infiniti Dropaway Rest
Carbon Impact 3 Carbon Rod, 1 Tuner Stabilizer, 10 inch or so( I have found this stabilizer to work better on the Phoenix than any other stabilizer I have tried before including my Doinker System, The Carbon Impact Stabilizer is my ASA Competition Stabilizer but its working great for Bowhunting )
Stone Mountain Dakota Prestreched String
Custom Self Made Grip
Simms Riser Strip
Simms Limbsavers
Simms String Leeches
Speed Buttons
Simms LS Vibration Reduction Modules
Simms Mini Limbsavers mounted on Sight
Goldtip 3555's
Muzzy 4 Blade 100 grain Broadheads
Easton Nocks
Arizona 4 inch Vanes
Winn Free Flight Glove Release and or T.R.U Ball Chappy Boss.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:13 PM

As far as the bows go, I prefere parker over PSE. That's just personal preference really, I have never owned either type. I have test shot them though and now others that own both brands. They are both great companies.

I wanted to comment on the fact that you are getting this for him sight unseen. For the most part getting archery products, especially bows for surprises is not a good idea. Archery is a very individual thing. What you like or what feels good to you isn't the same for someone else. It's also very important for the bow to fit him. Both draw length and draw weight. The cam style is also a consideration. He may prefer a lower let off with a smoother draw to a more aggressive speed cam with high let off and no valley. And that is not even to mention the grips on different bows, or the amount of reflex and brace height from model to model.

And the part where you said it will be "about 29 inches of draw" sort of scares me. This is something that should be set to him before he gets the bow. Every one will feel different. It can't be "about", it needs to be right! Guessing won't cut it if you want him to shoot well. I suggest taking him to a pro shop without knowing what it is going on, then surprise him by letting him pick out what one he wants. Give him and the sales person a budget and let them go from there. He may decide to get a better bow and kick in some of his own money to make up the difference. Even go to a few different shops if it's possible. Let him shoot as many bows as he wants in order to find the right one. I thought I knew what I wanted when I went to buy my last bow, and I came home with something totally different in the end.

If I were going to spend that kind of money on someone I would want them to be totally happy with it. Which is more important to you? Having him be surprised, or satisfied?

Just my thoughts any way.

Paul
Old 10-27-2004, 12:15 PM

Parker Bows are smoother, quieter, and faster that P.S.E. I saw a Primos yesterday with a split limb! I would go for a Hoyt Xtec over the Parker. Probably about $50 more.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:17 PM

Haven't shot the Parker but I do own a Primos STL. My brother shoots a Parker Hunter Mag and it's O.K., but it's not nearly up to par with the Primos. The Primos is very smooth, with a solid wall, good brace height and more than adequate speed. PSE sometimes gets ragged on because they do make a number of entry level bows and I think PSE is sometimes associated mainly with those entry level bows. The Primos is definitely not in that category and is one of PSE's premium bows. Just an idea - why don't you get your dad a gift certificate so that he can go shoot both and see which one he prefers before buying one of them sight unseen?

Quick Reply: PSE Primos or Parker Phoenix?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.