Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
aiming from your tree stand >

aiming from your tree stand

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

aiming from your tree stand

Old 01-01-2002, 05:00 PM

Default aiming from your tree stand

do u aim low or right on target??? do u shoot high or low.
Old 01-01-2002, 05:16 PM

Default RE: aiming from your tree stand

I pratice from my treestand at home,so I shoot righton.no high or low.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 01-01-2002, 05:17 PM
Typical Buck

Most people have a hanit of shooting high. I usually aim right on, depending on how far out the animal is, or i will aim for the bottom of the lungs.

I notice while shooting my recurve or longbow i shoot high. When im shooting my compound im usually right in there.
Old 01-01-2002, 06:32 PM

Lemond,
For some reason this year I have been hitting high. I shot a doe early in the season and was right on,but just six days later I missed probaly a 135-140 inch 8pt. Guess how I missed him (high). I was very disappointed,then the day after christmas I shot a doe right under the spine at 18 yards. I have no idea why either other than I stopped her by grunting at her. There was 12 does and yearlings that ran under me because they were jumped from another ridge by something and were very nervous. I should of known this and aimed low but I didn't. My fault.
Old 01-01-2002, 07:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Patrick Sounds to me like the deer were on full alert,especially the one you stopped.They may have just started to bolt and resulted in the high shot.I shoot a lot year round and a shot from the stand has to be executed just like any other shot.You must remember to bend at the waste and keep the anchor point the same.There is one other thing that happens with high shots.They can be the result of getting a little excited and punching the trigger instead of pulling it.This will almost always result in a high shot.Depending on the height of the stand the distance may also be a bit closer than it looks.Remember that you need to get the yardage on a parralel plain with the ground and not across the angle to the deer.This could be a difference of 2 or 3 yards closer and that may be a part of the higher hits.I always aim for where I think the path of the arrow will end up going thru the vitals,from a stand this will be slightly higher than from the ground.
Old 01-01-2002, 08:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

The guy I've been hunting with this year and I have debated this all year long: he says aim low, and I continue to aim where I want my arrow to hit. I told him I can pick out any leaf I want to from my tree stand and nail it, so I should be able to do the same with a deer.

For proof, I've released four arrows at whitetails this year, and I've got three in the freezer and one in the back of my truck right now. I say aim where you want your arrow to hit.

But, above all, practice, practice, and practice.
Old 01-01-2002, 10:31 PM

I always pick a spot on the deer and shoot at it.As soon as you start to second guess if the deer will duck your arrow as some say you get into trouble.I say know your yardage and aim for the vitals.
Old 01-02-2002, 03:37 AM

I also practice from my tree stand.
Old 01-02-2002, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

I practice out my upstairs beroom window - it works for me! I shoot right on.
Old 01-02-2002, 09:28 AM
Typical Buck

Bend at the waist when elevated and shoot your pins as sighted. Like Climber does: practice from elevated, hunt from elevated.

Quick Reply: aiming from your tree stand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.