Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I fell tonight

Old 10-24-2004, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I fell tonight

I messed up and fell ,but I'm ok . I got in my stand and cliped my harness strap to the rope and turned to pull my pack up and ??? I have to admitt I was thinking about other things . I found my self hanging with my hips just below the platform . I pulled my self up and checked my self out . A scrape on my hand and a bruise on my hip from hiting the stand . And a world class wedgie from the harness pulling up my pants. I read the harness directions and they recomend replacing it after a fall , a small price for not falling . So harness up it saved me from a bad fall.
Old 10-24-2004, 06:37 PM

Default RE: I fell tonight

Glad to hear you are ok...
Old 10-24-2004, 06:50 PM
Spike

Glad to hear all is well.
Never wore a harness before, but here lately I've been considering it.
Saw some that are a vest type in the Bass Pro and Cableas catalogs today. Think they would be easier to use????
Going to check at a local shop later this week, if none there going to order one.
Guess the older you get the wiser you get[:-]
Old 10-24-2004, 06:57 PM

Thank goodness you weren't hurt. Nobody ever wants to get any real use out of their harness. It's like buying insurance- if you ever need it, it's a good thing you've got it.
Glad to hear you're okay other than a few scrapes and bruises.
Old 10-24-2004, 07:41 PM

I have to admit; I never wear a safety harness. I hunt out of a Summit Viper and order new cables every 2 years. It would have to be an extreme mechanical failure for anything to happen. I also only climb trees that have good bite. I'm not saying it can't happen, but you can't be completely safe at all times can you? I am careful and enclosed in my summit and unless the cable breaks, I'm OK.
Old 10-24-2004, 08:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

A great reminder for us all.
Old 10-24-2004, 08:31 PM
Typical Buck

It would have to be an extreme mechanical failure for anything to happen. I also only climb trees that have good bite.
I'm not trying to be a smart $%# and please forgive me if I come off that way but it can and has happened.

I have an API Grand Slam Bowhunter and was on my way down after dark one night when the bottom got tangled in the rope holding the halfs together. I THOUGHT I got a good bite but the rope was between the blade and the tree so the bottom slipped and I was cought by my harness.

If I hadn't been wearing it I might have landed on the bottom half a few feet down but I might not either.

I was still 20 feet or so up so I wouldn't be sitting here today.

Please,if not for yourself then for your family, wear that harness.
Old 10-24-2004, 08:39 PM

Glad to hear your OK. I always wear a safety belt and am looking to go to a full body or chest harness.
Old 10-24-2004, 08:47 PM

In reply to Shadowace: Either you place little value on your health or life or your a fool. Anyone that hunts out of a treestand, climbing or fixed, should always wear a safty restraint, at all times. How about you take out some life insurance and name me beneficiary.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

thank God you are ok. I always wear my saftey harness and think your a fool not too. I really like the SOP from summit, but I think any of the better made full body harness will work well. Just make sure you use one! If not for your self, do it for your family.

Quick Reply: I fell tonight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.