Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Any Minnesota Bowhunters on here? >

Any Minnesota Bowhunters on here?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Any Minnesota Bowhunters on here?

Old 10-24-2004, 03:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default Any Minnesota Bowhunters on here?

I am moving in two weeks to Chanhassen, MN. Not good timing for hunting season. I was wondering if there are any public hunting areas. No I am not looking for anyone's honey hole just a start. I would like to hunt/scout the late season so I know where to get started next year.

In addition to bowhunting I do a little waterfowling. Any info on public areas for that would be much appreciated as well.
Old 10-24-2004, 08:13 PM

Default RE: Any Minnesota Bowhunters on here?

Well, I too am in Minnesota but we are a whole state apart. I am all the way at the top. I can see Canada from here. You should go to the Minnesota bookstore. http://www.comm.media.state.mn.us/bo.../bookstore.asp

They sell both public recreation information maps and plat maps. Of course plat maps are the best you can get. They will show you all the public and private land boundries and well as the land owners. Plat map books only sell for about $30 and they are worth every penny.

The other maps they sell like the "Public Hunting Areas" maps are cheap, about $4, but don't give you the detail that plat maps do. However, they do show all of the State Wildlife Management Areas. If you are close to any, they are some good hunting.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:54 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks NortherMN, I appreciate the information. I surfed the MN DNR site and saw a link to that site for the plat books. I am glad to hear they are worth the money and that the public hunting areas are worth looking into.

I appreciate your reply.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:27 AM
Typical Buck

I live and hunt just south east of Marshall MN. From what I've seen of the land up that way it shouldn't be to hard to find some good State land. It looks like deer heaven up there. Good luck this season!
Old 10-25-2004, 11:26 AM

Hey there Randall. Welcome to the board. You should be able to find all the state and WMA land on the DNR website. It's kind of tough navigating on that thing, so good luck. If you bow hunt, middle of the week hunts are the best. Very little pressure then. One spot I can suggest is Louisville swamp on your way to Jordan on hwy 169. From about where you are...that's only about a 20 min drive or so. I've never hunted it myself, but there are plenty of deer down there. Not too many big bucks, but plenty of doe. A lot of run and gun shooters over there, but atleast it's a start for you. I don't know about the seasons they have there, but you could check it out. Let me know if I can help you out any further.

Stump
Old 10-25-2004, 06:56 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it. I surfed the MN DNR site for a couple minutes, sounds like I need to spend some more time there. It is encouraging to hear that the public land isn't a waste of time. I am looking forward to getting up there and spending some time in the woods.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:21 PM

It is encouraging to hear that the public land isn't a waste of time.
Around our area, I'd have to say most is. Atleast what I've experienced. Pheasant and duck hunters pretty much pound the s*** out of stuff, so that gives you either early season hunting or later season hunting. On some though, once opener is done you only have the die hard guys and occasionally a few yuppy guys out there chasing their dogs around like idiots. I wish I had enough land to invite you with, but my private land is falling faster than the Titanic. I might be asking you for hints on good land here soon. I would look into that Louisville Swamp though. If you want until the off season, a buddy of mine who has hunted it quite a bit and myself will be going out there to scout around. I'm thinking about hunting it next season. You could come along I'm sure.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:05 PM

for sure check out the Louisville Swamp and the Sherburne WMA north east of the Metro
I've hunted both years back and they always produced. My old hunting buddy used to mountain bike in the louisville with his bow strapped on the bike and could reach some real remote areas in a short time. Lost a bet and had to drag a 9 point out for him in 86'
Good luck and see you in the woods
Old 10-25-2004, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hi....I'm from St. Cloud and hunt St. Cloud area, Elk River area and I grew up in the south Metro area. You really want to get to know the Louieville Swamp. It gets some pressure but its a big area. Lots of Big Bucks! I've hunted it and seen deer just about every time. Many people ride bikes in, but I think the best way is to boat in on the Minnesota River. If you go in by boat you get away from alot of the hunters. Spend a couple after noons scouting right now, you"ll really see some sign. Then hunt to the end of the year and scout agian in January. Its a great place worth putting in your time.

Good Luck!
Old 10-25-2004, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh yeah.......I forgot one other key thing to check out for hunting the Metro Area......the Metro Hunting Resource Base is a group that opens up fabulous suburban parks and large woodlots. Some are by drawing and others are open if you register. There are some real monsters shot in these areas! Here's the website www.strictlybowhunting.com

Check this site out!

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Any Minnesota Bowhunters on here?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.