Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 what is proper Etiquette? >

what is proper Etiquette?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Old 10-20-2004, 01:50 PM

Default RE: what is proper Etiquette?

You did the right thing. I also agree with BobCo19-65, you don't know how safe that stand is unless you put it end. That would suck to go set in it and have it fail resulting in a fall and a broken leg. I know a guy that fell from his own stand over a year ago. He was in a wheelchair 3 months, crutches 6 and he's limped ever since. He still might have to have his leg amputated.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:57 PM
Fork Horn

This shouldn't even be a question. IMHO!!!

However, I do realize that it is because on many occasions i have seen that people have been in my stands.

I don't even want to hunt them because if I can tell, you better damn believe that a deer can tell.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:35 PM

You may have permission to hunt the farmer's property but you don't have permission to use the other hunters personal property. There have been plenty of times i have walked up to find people sitting in my tree stands on public property and private to. The tree may be public property but as far as im concerned the hunk of metal chained to it, ISN'T. Finding people in my tree stands makes my blood boil. There was an instance were i became so mad i yelled at one guy i found in my stand- " What would you think if somebody just came and took your car for a spin while you were sleeping?? You weren't using it at the time." He replies with "Sorry man, i didn't know it was yours." Well guess what jackass you certainly know its not yours...You deffinetly did the right thing by moving on.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn

Just assume the person using that stand is a terrible hunter who fidgets alot, makes to much noise, doesn't control his scent, and doesn't pay attention to the wind. Now all the deer will pass by your stand when avoiding his. This has always made me feel better when faced with the same situation. You did right by not getting in the stand.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:44 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm going to come down on the oposite side. If it's open hunt it. If he comes late as is normal, leave. I don't have this problem with hunting other peoples stand because they are always to low for the area. I have many of times climb theirs only to attach my climber and go up higher. Never have I had a problem and if it was I wouldn't care. There is plenty of woods to hunt. I have no problem moving. On the other hand when I pick a spot for the evening I'm hunting that area.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:48 PM

Absolutely...You did the right thing!!!
Old 10-21-2004, 06:24 AM

I would be just almost pissed off enough to shoot the SOB out of my stand. I put the time in and some one else hunts my stand WRONG ANSWER!!! you did the right thing

Old 10-21-2004, 07:50 AM

the only time it would be proper to use his stand is if you have permission from him to do so ..

If you treat people the way you would prefere to be treated yourself, you are on your way to proper etiquette.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:17 AM

Ditto from here
ORIGINAL: Bees

the only time it would be proper to use his stand is if you have permission from him to do so ..

If you treat people the way you would prefere to be treated yourself, you are on your way to proper etiquette.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:34 AM

You know the right thing to do is probably not hunt the stand,,and move down, But on the outher hand Whats to say the Guy hunts yours? The first thing we dont want to do is Piss the land owner off, Probably a good thing too do would be and try to meet the other hunters and go from there. As far as public land where i hunt there are so many stands but most are gun stands and i bow hunt and i never see people in them, Just my 2 cents .

Quick Reply: what is proper Etiquette?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.