Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 OK...I may be shooting myself in the foot here...but... >

OK...I may be shooting myself in the foot here...but...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

OK...I may be shooting myself in the foot here...but...

Old 10-20-2004, 08:51 AM

Default OK...I may be shooting myself in the foot here...but...

Someone had mentioned that vanilla was a good scent for deer....
Got me to thinking....
What about fruits that grow in your local area in the wild?
We have apple trees up here....
Could I put out apple juice, or apple juice concentrate?
Or, if persimmons grew in your area? Could that area put out persimmon juice?
Just wondering?
Anyone ever try this?
Old 10-20-2004, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: OK...I may be shooting myself in the foot here...but...

Sunset. That's a good question, and I have tried it a couple times.

Actually, I have not found it effective except in one situation...We have a feeder in the yard at our camp. We don't shoot deer there, but we watch them. I generally don't put out soybeans and corn except in the late summer through the early spring. When I first put them out, sometimes the deer don't find them right away, so I douse the ground with apple juice to bring the deer in. Then they find the feed and the feast is on.

I tried the same thing years ago around a couple stands and had no luck at all.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Apple juice has worked for me to attract deer just put it in a spray bottle and before you hunt spray it on a tree in the area where you can get a shot. I think the same would be true for permissions. Even works better if apples or the fruit is natural to the area. But as far as vanilla goes i think it arrouses there curisoty so they come to investigate the sweet smell.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

SO..if I may expand on this topic..if one of the many snuff dippers puts in a chew of Vannila Skoal he is spitting an attractant? Hmmmmm
Old 10-20-2004, 11:17 AM

Just another quick idea for you apple juice users. I have on several occasions drawen deer into my stand with the leftover part of my morning snack. After I'm done munching an apple on the walk in I will take the core thats left and rub/smear it all over a tree trunk. The smeared apple and juice smells very strong and very natural.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:45 PM

ty....good ideas.....
except for the chew....I think I'll pass on that
Old 10-20-2004, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a buddy tell me that he will make his own "lick" by hanging a frozen can of apple concentrate in a tree. He then pokes a small hole in it and as it thaws, drip, drip, drip. He says it works qiute well and cheap.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:51 PM

I make my own Acorn scent every year with acorns from the area I hunt.

I have an old cast iron meat grinder. In the autum after the mast crop falls I gather up about 4 to 6 cups of acorns and grind them up shell and all. I place them in a gallon jug and pour in a liter of cheap Vodka. This sits until the next hunting season.
I drain off the liquid and place it in smaller bottles to carry in my pack pack and use it as an attractor scent. I've seen Deer stop, change direction and lick it off rocks and tree truck. No they don't get hammered, the Vodka evaporates. You can also dump the acorn pulp on the ground but make sure solid bait is legal in your are before doing so.

I have not tried it but Im sure that this would work with other food products such as apple, corn or what have you. The vodka is just a carrying agent that lets the acorn scent remain and concentrate without spoiling.

works for me
Old 10-20-2004, 09:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

There are many you can choose from Apple is one of them ,acorn,pine and dirt scent's as well. What I've found is that if your using a scent such as pine or apple and there are no pine or apple tree's, then you are putting the deer in a defensive mode, since they are aware what type of smell's are in an area that they frequent. If there are no apple tree's, and they smell apple's! they'll know that it's not normal.When I first started bowhunting and using different scent's. I learned this when I had a buck coming into a field from a trail,he was fine as he neared my stand. I had pine scent on and it stopped him in his track's ,there were no pine tree's in the area ,as it turned out the buck took 2 step's directly back and then bolted back from where he came from. The buck never looked up, but he did have his nose in the air scent checking .This happened again using another scent.This is just my opinion ,I 've had a few avid bowhunter's tell me what I was doing wrong, because at that point I had no clue,all I use now is a scent that smell's like dirt that I picked up at Wall Mart and I've never had those reaction's since. I've been picked off but I don't believe it was the scent I use that got me busted ,I think it was slight movement.

nubo
Old 10-20-2004, 11:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

What I've found is that if your using a scent such as pine or apple and there are no pine or apple tree's, then you are putting the deer in a defensive mode, since they are aware what type of smell's are in an area that they frequent.
You got that right! I used to keep my clothes in a rubbermaid tub with cedar branches which worked excellent when I was hunting the cedar swamps up north. I wore the same clothes and hunted the hardwoods close to home once and I'll never make that mistake again.

Quick Reply: OK...I may be shooting myself in the foot here...but...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.