Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Worst shot ever! >

Worst shot ever!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Worst shot ever!

Old 10-19-2004, 12:13 PM

Default Worst shot ever!

Did anyone see on the outdoor channel(todays bowhunter I think), the shot the first hunter took.

He had a buck come in, wind him. The deer stopped 35-40 yrds quartering towards him. He shoots and the arrow goes over the deers head about a foot, almost between his antlers. NOT EVEN CLOSE!

Then he says that 1#. the deer jumped the string.(which it did not) 2# that 35 or so yards is a little out of his range.

I don't like to rag on other hunters but come on. This portrayed harvesting a deer with a bow as being impossibly hard. My G/F asked if many people miss like that. I told her that only people that are dumb enough to attempt the shot miss it. One more-- even if he would of hit the deer , it would of been a long range shoulder shot(no penetration), or a shot in the guts.

Had to rant, this P'ed me off.

good luck everybody!
Old 10-19-2004, 12:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Worst shot ever!

I saw that. I am dumb founded by some of the shots people take on those shows. My G/f has watched so many shows with me SHE even knows when a bad shot is taken. There was another one I was watching the other night where the guy took a quartering to shot and hit WAY back on it. The deer died in a river and the guide just happened to see it stuck out in the water down stream. Never did acknowledge the poor decision the guy made.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:36 PM

Luckily I didn't see the show. I prefer not to watch hunting shows due to what I see on a lot of them. Yes there are quality hunting shows (or more often then not films) that protray hunting in a positive light but IMO ethics and good judgment go out the window when there is a deadline to meet.

For the good of the sport I avoid supporting these shows. I'd rather watch Jimmy Houston rip the lips off a bass anyday.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I'm not mistaken Today's Bowhunter is PSE's Pete Shepley's show and the one and only time that I've watched it Ol' Pete did a "Texas Heart Shot" on a blacktail and then had the nerve to say that he hit a little farther back then he wanted. I thought "Yeah shooting a deer in the butthole is I little far back". I won't watch that show again.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:04 PM
Fork Horn

Kinda like Stan Potts shot on the biggest buck shot on film.. The worst shot i have ever seen hit a deer.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:08 PM
Spike

I do disagree with some of the shots that those people take on them shows. But if they get the deer then, CONGRATS. I shot my first deer last year at 20 yards quartering towards me. I know it wasnt a good shot to take but the deer was getting spooky and it was the last week of archery. Anway a bagged myself my first doe in archery. I'm not much of a hunting show person, I stick to watchin them Monster Buck videos. Those movies are the best.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:33 PM

Hi all....first time posting on these boards, so please be gentle with me.

I have to agree. I usually watch a lot of hunting shows, but only as something to watch during the offseason. Most times these shows are geared just for showing someone shoot a deer and not actually hunt them. I avoid any show that shows Texas whitetail hunting. Those shows are so unrealistic when it comes to the amount of bucks you see in the field. But when it comes to shots these guys take, all I can say is OMG! Some of these shots these guys take are so awful you have to wonder how many deer these guys have wounded just to get it on camera but are never shown. I watched a show the other night where a guy shot a nice buck at 40 yards through crap I wouldn't shoot my rifle through. He ended up hitting the buck near the hind quarters(it was a broadside shot, btw). After waiting 9 hours, they did find the buck. During his interview, the hunter said that he a had an opening through the limbs about the size of a pie plate. If you ask me, that was a shot he should not have taken. He was lucky to not have wounded that deer.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:50 PM

welcome aboard.
thanks for the replies.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yup, saw it too and I'm right there with ya RBBH. And of course I make aloud statements to the fact that my g/f asked me why I even watch the shows and I replied because not all of them are of (explicitive) like that one. Then they televise the shot just to have footage...I've seen worse tho and some involve MADD shows....especially Steve Stolzfus or whatever that clowns name is. I've seen Mark Drury send an arrow through limbs you couldn't place a bullet through, all you heard was clang, clang, clang.....It actually amazes me on several levels. If I saw this as an anti....it wouldn't matter, my mind would be made up that all hunters are slobs like that anyway. If I were a nonhunter but curious, I'd think, that is a poor portrayal of ethics and needing to get a shot off, if that's the case, I could be anti hunting, and watching it as a hunter I think, what an ass attempting a shot like that and it falls back to my fellow hunters thoughts and how terrible it looks for all hunters but alas, anyone watching it is probably a fellow hunter and it only makes them look foolish amoungst their piers.
Old 10-19-2004, 06:38 PM

some tv hunting shows aree the worst I was watching an older realtree video the other day and they were rifle hunting in Saskatchewan,Canada and I don't remember his name but when the outfitters pushed a large 180 class buck out of some thick bush and I think buck fever took over because he shot at the buck atleast four ar five times at like 40yrds while the buck was running and do you think that even one of those bullets hit the deer? NOPE not a single one I don't even think one went near the buck. I thought to myself well what a boob. Another thing I used to hate watching buckmasters and realtree that there was a time when they couldn't show the deer being shot on tv so when the hunter would take his shot the camera would be on him, and the deer it showed them shooting at were most of the time monster bucks but after the shot when the went to retrive the deer it wasn't even the same deer always smaller than the one they showed before he took the shot. figure that one out BOOBS