Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Big Buck Contest...Baby Bucks >

Big Buck Contest...Baby Bucks

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Big Buck Contest...Baby Bucks

Old 10-19-2004, 10:50 AM

Default RE: Big Buck Contest...Baby Bucks

ORIGINAL: HNIJustin
Sure, we'd all love to marry a supermodel with a big bankroll, but in reality we'll take the first one that we find who won't leave us during the hunting season.
Amen to that brother.........
Old 10-19-2004, 12:46 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: SW Iowa Hunter

Lefty...I totally understand that some folks don't have the quality of deer to hunt as others and I respect that. However, if QDM were practiced then perhaps more would have better quality herds to hunt. I can understand a guy who hunts and kills a 115 class buck because that is a mature buck in his area and that is something to be proud of and all, but killing immature bucks doesn't make sense to me. Not ramming QDM down anyone's throat...but give it time and your DNR will if they already haven't. As far as the time constraints argument....that dog won't hunt. It's early in the season even if one is limited to weekends only hunting. Regardless it's not excuse to kill the first buck that walks by.
No I don't think you do understand, Not ramming QDM down anyone's throat... That was the only reason for this post. You want to hide behind a statement like that, whatever. I don't know why anyone should have to explain why they shoot anything. Who made you little buck savior. Why do you care what someone shoots. That is the good thing about having a choice. These types of comments are what divides hunters. No different than the anti's and thier views.

Oh, but if they are young hunters then go ahead. I believe you have implied that before. That is the easy way out. If you had your choice we would all bowhunt monsters only. Stick a few does in the freezer and have a geat time. Wake up, never gonna happen.

One of the things I just love about this site, is our great support of each other. You don't shoot the right bow, too small of a deer, nice deer but how can you have a picture hanging in a shed with its tongue out. I don't understand it.

This post is just another example of the ignorance of some people to what hunting really is.

If you judge your hunts by the size of the antlers then you don't get it. Call yourself a hunter but you are truely missing out on what hunting is really about.

You can argue all you want about let the little ones pass and only shoot the big ones, that is your right but give the others thier rights too.

Judge your hunts your way and let them judge thiers thier way. Too each his own.

Little buck savior...now I like that!!! Sometimes I feel more like the pied piper of little bucks when I'm in my stand and I blow a grunt call and the little buggers come running out from behind every tree. [8D] But as far as the way I "judge my hunts", it has absolutely nothing to do with the horns. Don't get me wrong the times I've killed nice bucks has been an amazing rush but let's think about it...I've been bowhunting for 14 years and killed 6 fair to great bucks. I've killed lots of does also. But if you think about how many flippin' trips I've made to the woods, how many hours I've logged in a tree, how many hours I've logged scouting all year round, how much work I've put into supplementary food plots...one begins to understand the personal investment of time, energy, and emotion that I have put into this passion. So if I only cared about the horns I think the return on investment is hugely lopsided. My point, if you haven't realized it already, is that I it's not about the horns. My hunts are judged on "what did I learn on that trip to the stand" and/or "yep, I was right, that is exactly where those deer are bedding, feeding, or transitioning." Gotta love this sport.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:06 PM

I have a question,

What self respecting "big buck contest" would even allow "baby bucks" to be entered?? Whats the fun in entering a deer contest if the only other deer are dinks? That would be like a PGA golfer playing in a high school tournament.

I enter the 6 most popular deer contest in this area each year. I couldnt care less if I win or not, its just fun to enter and to go to the awards banquet. But most of the contest around here have about 36 catagories, so you have a chance of winning something if you get a nice animal. Although this year your going to need atleast a deer in the high 180's to even come close to placing in the nontypical catagories and a deer in the 170's for the tyical catagories.

Here are some of the websites of the deer contest that I enter, if you want to see some BIG bucks check it out. But our rifle season dosent even start until Nov. 6 so even I was surprised to see some of the bucks already taken this year.

www.loscazadores.com

www.texasgulfcoastdeercompetition.com

www.loscuernos.com

www.colablanca.com
Old 10-19-2004, 01:53 PM

What gets me is all this talk about game management. In MT the only game management practice we have is to shoot the little basket bucks to get the bad genetics out of the heard. And here you are all bashing shooting little bucks, when it does more good for the heard than anything. Shooting the little basket bucks allows the genes of the monsters to be spread throughout the entire heard. Wolfen68, you are from KS where there isn't a wild deer in the whole state. 95% of them are fenced in on a "game management ranch" if you want to hunt wild deer get out of the midwest/south and come to MT. I don't call that hunting when you plant food plots for deer and fence them in. Real hunting is done in the woods where you have to lay out your best guess of what you think the deer/elk are going to do on any particular morning/evening, the reason they are unpredictable is because they are wild. When you plant food plots you can be 99.9% sure they will walk the same trail morning and evening to eat the food you planted for them (not hunting, they are more like pets), but if you get a kick out of it great. You don't have the right to bash others that hunt wild deer.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

All QDM issues aside, I read and UNDERSTAND your specific question! If a guy KNOWS that he is gonna drop the string on the FIRST 40" buck that walks past his stand WHY in the world would he want to enter the BIG buck contest?? I believe everyone pretty much knows that THE "dumbest" and most easily killed deer in the ENTIRE herd is a yearling buck! Up the bar man, set some goals, hold out for atleast a 2 1/2 year old animal? PLEASE...... "kill a DOE so the herd won't grow" if it's just meat your after.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I been doin this for 48 years now & the game is the same-the big buck killer knocks the little buck killer. I enjoy every part of Bowhunting & sometimes the man upstairs sends a little buck by that he says to take. Don't get me wrong-I have lived in big buck country all my life-Illinois & now Iowa. I have been spoiled & blessed. I practice QDM also but I never say anything about what someone else tags. We just haven't been in their shoes.
Heck, I have 2 antlerless bonus tags (1st time ever) & have passed on several already-just can't make myself take one since I haven't since 1980 or so. I know I should-QDM, right!!!! Enjoy your time in the woods & just take care of your little patch of Gods good Earth. If the other guy doesn't practice your way-well, thats AMERICA- "WE ALL" have that choice. Myself, I am hoping for nothing less than a 160 this year & for my son-I just hope he gets a crack at a decent Buck & my Daughter-I just hope she gets a Deer. Good luck in what ever you set your sights on.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

HYDE,

"Wolfen68, you are from KS where there isn't a wild deer in the whole state. 95% of them are fenced in on a "game management ranch" if you want to hunt wild deer get out of the midwest/south and come to MT. I don't call that hunting when you plant food plots for deer and fence them in."

Dude, WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!? Are you on crack? [:-][&:][:@]
Old 10-19-2004, 02:18 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: HYDE

What gets me is all this talk about game management. In MT the only game management practice we have is to shoot the little basket bucks to get the bad genetics out of the heard. And here you are all bashing shooting little bucks, when it does more good for the heard than anything. Shooting the little basket bucks allows the genes of the monsters to be spread throughout the entire heard. Wolfen68, you are from KS where there isn't a wild deer in the whole state. 95% of them are fenced in on a "game management ranch" if you want to hunt wild deer get out of the midwest/south and come to MT. I don't call that hunting when you plant food plots for deer and fence them in. Real hunting is done in the woods where you have to lay out your best guess of what you think the deer/elk are going to do on any particular morning/evening, the reason they are unpredictable is because they are wild. When you plant food plots you can be 99.9% sure they will walk the same trail morning and evening to eat the food you planted for them (not hunting, they are more like pets), but if you get a kick out of it great. You don't have the right to bash others that hunt wild deer.

Hyde...do you have CWD??? In all my years on this site I finally think I've just read the most inaccurate post ever! Is your last name Kerry? You, sir, are an idiot! Wait a second...hold on...this is a joke right? Can't be real...ok, you got me...who are you really? Don't "Hyde"...come out come out wherever you are.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:25 PM
Fork Horn

Why come to MT...we have all the big ones high fenced!!! That means you have none.

Give me a break!!!! I'm not aware of any place in my vicinity (IA) that is high fenced, but everything is a food plot. FYI...Food plots don't equal tame deer!
Old 10-19-2004, 02:32 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: wolfen68

ORIGINAL: HYDE

Hyde...do you have CWD??? In all my years on this site I finally think I've just read the most inaccurate post ever! Is your last name Kerry? You, sir, are an idiot! Wait a second...hold on...this is a joke right? Can't be real...ok, you got me...who are you really? Don't "Hyde"...come out come out wherever you are.
No, I think Hyde could be for real...I checked his profile and I think he actually exists and may lurk in the Montana area...which means it's official, he posted the most inaccurate, bogus, clueless, and ignorant post in the history of HuntingNet.com!!! Let me try and help Mr. Hyde...I hunt in the deep woods where deer disappear past 20 yards, no fences, no food plot (tried it...weeds took over but it makes no difference), no feeders, going after 110% wild deer where generally if you see a monster buck it's for the very first time and if you don't get him it will likely be the last. As far as fences in Kansas...as far as I know, they do not exist. Your knowledge of basket racks is frightenly wrong leading me to lend zero credibility to anything further you can offer....[]

Quick Reply: Big Buck Contest...Baby Bucks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.