Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 the rut is on: mom almost scored..with the Tahoe >

the rut is on: mom almost scored..with the Tahoe

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

the rut is on: mom almost scored..with the Tahoe

Old 10-15-2004, 05:08 PM

Default the rut is on: mom almost scored..with the Tahoe

Heading home from my football game last nite about 9 PM, and my mom slammed on the breaks...150" 10 point walked out infront of the car...stood there in the yellow looking up and down teh road, lip curled at the car, and slowly walked across the road into teh woods, about 2 miles from my house...i think its a sign of the rut starting..the bucks have started chasing a bit...be careful out there on teh roads guys and good luck this weekend!

slayer
Old 10-15-2004, 05:20 PM

Default RE: the rut is on: mom almost scored..with the Tahoe

Glad to hear that your mom's car was spared the damage that he would have done... Here in Maryland, they won't start rutting for another 2-3 weeks.

By the way, how's your arm doing? Has it healed 100%?
Old 10-15-2004, 06:54 PM

I drive a tahoe as well and i nailed a doe last year at like 70. she did over $3,000 worth of damage. the rut isn't on here in kansas yet but i did see a little 6 pt with five does tonight. he wasn't chasing though, hell i dont know he could've been a *****. HAHA Glad your mom didn't hit him though, now you can shoot him. good hunting.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:13 PM

here in southern indiana think rut will start in a few weeks....hopefully
Old 10-15-2004, 07:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's definetly not the way you want to take your deer for the season,glad to hear your mom didn't have any damage to her car .Good luck to hunting this big guy.

nubo
Old 10-15-2004, 08:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Deerslayer_37

150" 10 point walked out infront of the car...stood there in the yellow looking up and down teh road, lip curled at the car, and slowly walked across the road into teh woods, ...i think its a sign of the rut starting..the bucks have started chasing a bit...
slayer
We've said this time and again. You cannot judge the rut by a bucks behavior. Sure the bucks are gear up in anticipation of the ruts begining but the does control and determine the rut. The bucks can do all the chasin, all the lip curlin, all the rubbin, all the scrapin and all the battlin they want...it means nothing until the does come into estrous and in the northern hemisphere that PA and WI are in, the prerut is near it's start and "the rut" or peak when most if not all the does are coming into estrous is all but a month out.

I'm glad your mom and the vehicle and...the buck escaped injury.
Old 10-15-2004, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well put Rob let me know when you come into rut, deal!
Old 10-15-2004, 10:08 PM

Sorry rob, forgot to include the latest scouting reports..theres a few guys in the area that have been seeing some chasing activity, probably teh does were in estrous. i understand peak rut isnt until early november...unfortunately, they took away the 4 best days of the season for me...its Zone T now during our fall break, doe only in our county. and in this part of teh county, there arent even taht many deer. alot of bowhunters are really mad about it. I think this cold weather we've had the last few days has really got the deer moving around..its supposed to be 20 MPH winds tommorrow, but im still gonna try it..

Even with the grill guard, hitting a good sized deer doing 65 would do quite a bit of damage im sure...

thanks for asking jimbo, everything is healed up..i just have a scar and a bit of carbon in my hand. too deep to dig out most of it was.

good luck this weekend

slayer
Old 10-16-2004, 12:01 AM

Here in northern indiana the rut dosent start untill oct.28 thats when the first does go into heat.Wright know the bucks are makeing scrape and soon calling and rattling will work.When the rut is on i stay in the woods all day moving from treestand to treestand.I will see several bucks,i just waite for the right on to take,Last year i waited for a spical buck that i took becuse in 2002 this deer messed with me and i waited for him,its a nine pointed with a messed up rack...KILL A BUCK SAVE A TRUCK
Old 10-16-2004, 06:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Deerslayer_37

Sorry rob, forgot to include the latest scouting reports..theres a few guys in the area that have been seeing some chasing activity, probably teh does were in estrous.
Oh I agree that one might see some chasin...I've seen it myself but the does didn't want anything to do with the bucks. The bucks will check out every doe they come upon with zest and zeal and the does right now will surely flee that intrusion. Probably like PA, WI might have does that come in slightly early due to the large deer population, but the "rut" is still a couple weeks to a month out. I was simply commenting on the thread title..."The rut is on"......but I do wish it were..but I'll be patient. I have Oct 28-30, Nov 3-13th off work so I hope the "rut" will be on schedule.

Quick Reply: the rut is on: mom almost scored..with the Tahoe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.