Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tree stand height >

Tree stand height

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tree stand height

Old 10-15-2004, 03:39 PM

Default Tree stand height

I use mainly portable stands and screw in steps. I try and stick them about 16+ feet in the air in large oaks and other hardwoods. How high do you place your stands? Am i too high, too low? I need some feedback to understand the general trend. A lot of guys that fancy themselves as bowhunters around here are dumb as a box of rocks and don't tend to give any advice that seems logical, but there are a select few that have a load of trophies on the wall to prove their knowledge and success. Thanks guys i appreciate your time and advice.
Old 10-15-2004, 04:09 PM

Default RE: Tree stand height

I don't have a load of trophies on the wall so maybe I'm another guy that's as dumb as a box of rocks but here is my opinion. I'm 21 years old, but I've been hunting since I've been able to. Until this year I hunted anywhere from 12 to 16 feet, I hunt in pretty much all types of settings, hardwoods, brush, pines, swamp, etc. I try to learn all I can from the more experienced hunters, so this year from advice given to me I hung all my stands 25 to 30 feet high and would never go any lower. I've seen more deer than ever close to the stand, have only been winded once. I shot two does so far, now looking for the wall hanger! I feel that the hight of 25 to 30 feet keeps you out of the view of whitetails, along with keeping any scent you couldn't eliminate out of their noses. So the advice I have to give for what it's worth is hunt high, 25 to 30 feet, you'll notice great results.
Old 10-15-2004, 04:21 PM
Fork Horn

I primarily use 15 ft ladder stands, so I'm not up very high. This is due to a hang on stand failure and resultant terror that followed a few years ago. I do not believe height is as important as background cover on a given tree. Your height should be determined by the tree. Some trees require very high stands, which result in difficult angle shots, others do not. Be concealed, play the wind, stay scent free and don't worry about a specific height in a tree, in my opinion.
Old 10-15-2004, 04:40 PM

I feel 20ft is the perfect medium.I believe that knowing the location the deer travel and stand placement are other keys to being succesful.ie not facing a tavel lane but placing your stand facing the direction of travel so you will not be spotted.Thats why scouting is so important in my book
Old 10-15-2004, 05:35 PM
Fork Horn

Back when I hunted places where I could leave my stand I would try to hang my stand "in the tree" -amongst the branches for cover. 15ft high was enough.

Now I hunt out of a climber, I don't get any natural cover unless I cut and wire it to my stand. More often than not I just go up 20-25 ft. Starting tomorrow, I'll have an ASAT 3D suit to help break up my outline.
Old 10-15-2004, 05:45 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm a residential hunter with deer running rampant. 30'+ when leaves are down. There are too many little deer when the big ones come in. Too many eyeballs, ears and noses.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:24 PM

I hunted about 15 feet for years and 2 years ago i started going up to 25 (my pull up rope is that long and I climb till it gets tight) I have seen and killed alot more deer since I went higher. i practice at this hight alot pre season as well. for practice i go up a tree till my pull up rope gets tight and shoot at milk jugs that i have strewn around my yard. have my kids gather up arrows and send them back up to me for another round of shots
Old 10-15-2004, 08:01 PM

ORIGINAL: derbyparty

I hunted about 15 feet for years and 2 years ago i started going up to 25 (my pull up rope is that long and I climb till it gets tight) I have seen and killed alot more deer since I went higher. i practice at this hight alot pre season as well. for practice i go up a tree till my pull up rope gets tight and shoot at milk jugs that i have strewn around my yard. have my kids gather up arrows and send them back up to me for another round of shots
I don't have kids....I wonder if I can trian my dogs to do that? That is a great idea, I am going to have to try it. Thanks for the tip.

In answering the question, I hunt 15 feet up, and use bungee cords to strap branches to the standing platform of my stand. I use pine or cedar when available, to help mask any scent that I have. Hope it helps.
Old 10-15-2004, 09:37 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-15-2004, 10:11 PM

ill be honest, im absolutely terrifed of heights..im really comfortable with my ladder stand 12 feet up with a bar across it. but get me 10 feet in a portable, even with my full body harness i still dont like it. i guess its just something i have to get used it. I shake my head when i see these guys going up 20 feet, sometiems 30 or 40...straight down is already a 10 yard shot...i guess if you're good enough to make the shot, go ahead...wont be seeing me up there to join you for a cup of tea anytime soon.

slayer

Quick Reply: Tree stand height

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.