Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Flashlights in Big Buck Areas? >

Flashlights in Big Buck Areas?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Flashlights in Big Buck Areas?

Old 10-14-2004, 06:25 AM
Typical Buck

Default Flashlights in Big Buck Areas?

I wanted to know what your opinions were of using flashlights in areas where big deer live?
I'll be heading out this coming Saturday morning into an area I know a monster buck lives. It's also going to be awfully dark without a moon and with cloud cover. I'd like to use one to avoid brush, sticks, and other things that go thump when you hit them. A little light will also help set the stand up more quietly. At the same time, I'm not sure if deer are smart enough to avoid an area based on the temporary presence of such a light.

I figure I could use a low level red lens flashlight, but will this cost me in the end?

BTW: A tip for red lens' for those on a budget like me: First take a cheap plastic flashlight and open the lens cover. Then take some Saran wrap, a red Sharpie and color a patch on the wrap itself. Place the wrap on the flashlight and replace the cover. Tear off the rough edges and you've got a red lens.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:33 AM

Default RE: Flashlights in Big Buck Areas?

Red light will not bother them. Like you are thinking, use a small flashlight and get some sort of red lense cover. I have picked up a few over the past couple of years, the head mounted LED combo with 1 red LED, 1 White LED and three bright LED for tracking downed animals. Also have taken a magnum flashlight and use the red lense in it, Kind of heavy but fun for using when I have the kids. I also use a 1Million candle power with red lense to spotlight pigs and look at Deer in my yard at night.

Good luck.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:33 AM

I only use one if I just flat out can't see a thing.

I'd rather make a little more noise in the dark and have them wonder what it was than have the flashlight on and remove all doubt.

The red is an option...I don't think that's nearly as intrusive and I was very surprised to see some animals on film didn't even realize the red light was on them??

Course...I ain't ever killed a big buck either so I'm just talking here
Old 10-14-2004, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a mini maglight with a red lens cover a rigged. It seems to work well enough. But it is rather interesting that years ago, I just used a regular flashlight without a lens and have actually walked up to deer that didn't run from the light. Its spooky when you get a glimps of two glowing eyes looking at you and actually walking toward you!
Old 10-14-2004, 07:21 AM

I personally don't go into the woods without my headlamp for a couple of reasons. 1 is saftey( From the sounds of where you're hunting it dosn't sound like you have to worry about other hunters but you're carring a quiver full of razor sharp broadheads. You don't want to fall and get tangled up in them). 2 there is nothing in the woods that moves like people do. all critters in the woods walk on 4 legs and deer and other game can tell the diffrence betwen 2 feet and 4 feet. I'd rather the animal see some light ( which likely they won't be able to identify) then to he me fumbleing around on my two feet ( which will certainly spook them).
Old 10-14-2004, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

I am a firm believer in the red light after fox hunting with one and seeing deers reactions(none) to the light. Since then I have used a red lens to get to my stands and it makes a difference whether they spook or not.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm a firm believer in a flashlight period, any kind but a red or green light is certainly better. I used to not use one, that was until I got a stick in the eye....knocked me flat down and I sat there for all but an hour cause I could not see....I'm glad it worked out in the end....I always use a flashlight now...and deer are not spooked by flashlights. I believe and have experienced they are more spooked by not using one. They seem frozen and deer don't have the depth perception to know how far a light is from them. Hell in the dark, it's tough to know how far for a human....I once tracked a light through the woods thinking someone was in my area that shouldn't be only to find I was seeing a street light from more than a half mile away. It looked like a flashlight at ground level...I was shocked.

The key is to shine minimal light onto the ground so you can see to walk. I cup my hands over the end of the light allowing just enough to show my way. There is no way this spooks deer. I've walked up on them in the dark while using a flashlight but without one, I hear them go way out in front of me. SO it's safer with one than without one...for those against flashlights, I hope your wearing eye protection or wish you the best of luck.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:16 AM

I'm not sure how large mature whitetails would react but I have a stand over a bait pile. The trail to my stand I use goes about 15 yard from my bait pile and makes a half circle to it then goes right past it. I used just a regular flashling, no red lense, walked within 15 feet of three deer standing at the pile. They didn't know I was there until I looked up, saw three figures, then shinned the light on them wondering what they were. They were not old mature deer, I believe they were a doe and two fawns, but they didn't seem to mind the light at all. I think a red lense would help even more, but my opinion is deer will spook less to a light if you shine it at your feet and not far up ahead of you than to someone crunching through the brush. Yet, my experience wasn't with an old mature buck
Old 10-14-2004, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've used a red lens in the past, but couldn't see well enough with it to warrant continuing its use. Since I've been using a mini maglight for quite a long time, I have just about walked into deer while using it, so I guess it doesn't spook 'em too bad. I still refrain from using it though if I can see well enough to manuever without it.
Old 10-14-2004, 04:01 PM

Mr Fritz,
I have found the perfect light, and it's inexpensive as well.
It's called the Pocketlight (www.pocketlight.net [or maybe it's .com]) either way. It's bright enough to see with and sneak in with yet low enough to not spook deer. I don't know about the rest of them but those red lenses blind me while wearing my eyeglasses.
Just a thought bud Good Luck

Quick Reply: Flashlights in Big Buck Areas?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.