Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 NON-TRADITIONAL SHOT PLACEMENT? >

NON-TRADITIONAL SHOT PLACEMENT?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

NON-TRADITIONAL SHOT PLACEMENT?

Old 10-08-2004, 10:44 PM

Default NON-TRADITIONAL SHOT PLACEMENT?

I was just wondering if anyone has ever taken deer with shots other than broadside/quartering away with some consistency? I haven't ever and don't recommend it, but my dad has on several occasions. He has been bowhunting for almost 40 years and is quite a good shot. Well, about 8 or so years ago he had a deer facing him with it's head down eating acorns between five or ten yards. He put his pin at the base of the deer's neck and let it fly. The arrow went into the top of the base of the neck and out the heart, and the deer ran maybe 30 yards before piling up. After meeting with him after dark, we went over to gut it, and I can truly say I've never seen, for better lack of any description, a better killing shot. Since then he's shot at least one more like that. The buck was underneath his stand, and he placed the arrow between the shoulderblades and connected with both the lungs and the heart. Again, this deer ran no more than forty yards. He told me he's shot several deer like this in the past. He just judges the angle and picks his spot(similar to broadside shots). Like I said, I don't endorse this, but rather am curious as to whether anyone else has any "non-trad" shot placements.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:28 PM
BT
Typical Buck

Default RE: NON-TRADITIONAL SHOT PLACEMENT?

I dont recomend this shot evan with a gun.

But last weekend one of my buddys shot a doe in the head.
He said she was almost under his stand with her head down feeding.
so he shot her in the back of the head. she droped on the spot.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Not on purpose
Old 10-09-2004, 07:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Something tells me this might get interesting.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a doe walking briskly through an opening several years ago. I like the walking shot, so I didn't even try to stop her. I put the pin in front of her chest and just as I squeezed the release, she stopped dead....

The broad head hit her about an inch behind the ear. She never hardly flinched. Hit the ground and was still.

That was about 15 years ago, and I've learned a lot since then. For one, the broadside shot is the only shot for me....I'll still take the walking shot...but only if they're walking a hell of a lot slower than that doe was. LOL
Old 10-09-2004, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I took a small 8 pointer last year with what I though to be a bad shot its was a little far back and a little high, needless to say the deer went 15yds and collapsed dead maybe only 10 seconds and it was deader than dead. when I cleaned the deer it looked like it was hit with a high powered deer rifle, I got the liver and I believe the main artery running down the spine. That was a good shot but I wouldnt purposely try it again just to small and area to try for, I'll stick to a double lung.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:29 AM

someone i talk to last year was telling me that his kuz was hunting a feild he was at the edge of it and this big 10 point came out of no wear behind him and the deer walked out in frot of him at 25 yards. the buck just stood there for about 10 mins he was wateint for the buck to turn to shoot him but the buck was not moveing so all he can see is the pink of the bucks but hole and he said it reminds him of a bulls eye so he pulled back his bow and let it go hit the but perfick and the buck jumped about 5 feet in the air and ran jumped again and fell.. he has the but hole on his wall at home all u see is a perfect star of the broadhead in the pink and the arrow went right trew the bucks hart ...

big al
Old 10-09-2004, 10:52 AM

I personally have not taken any non-conventional shots - Closest I came was a steep 15 yard quartering too me shot - I got one lung, liver, a big artery - he flinched - walked 15 yards, smelled the air, and dropped.

I read many stories of Fred Bear taking what most of us would consider very contraversial shots - one being right up the rear of the animal. I actually read that one of his preffered shots was a rear shot at the femoral artery area....

Your right Charlie - this may get REAL interesting !
Old 10-09-2004, 11:41 AM

My shortest track...and first buck was a kidney shot. Deer made a 20 yard loop and died right behind me.

My 2nd shortest track was a buck I hit in the back quarter...when he turned just as I was releasing. Best blood trail I ever followed...for about 60 yards.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:43 PM

A guy I know shoots at least four deer per year(big family) and is a very good hunter. He has never lost a deer, and he shoots whenever he thinks he can kill them. He shoots buckblasters, which highly credits his kill percentage. He shoots deer in the neck regularly, usually right on the white patch, usually about fifty percent of the time. He is shooting a darton bow @ 70 lbs and aluminum arrows. He has had passthroughs on every deer he has shot. I would say that as long as you know the anatomy of a deer well and feel confident with the shot and your equipment, take it. Jacob

Quick Reply: NON-TRADITIONAL SHOT PLACEMENT?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.