Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A good night!

Old 10-07-2004, 11:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default A good night!

I got set up early today b/c it rained all morning. I figured the critters would be moving after being laid up all morning. I was sitting in a funnel area where deer cross a fence to go to an alfalfa field.
First thing I saw was a bobcat coming down a trail about 100 yards in front of me. I started to make a squeaking noise with my lips and he worked his way within 25 yards of my groundblind before he took off. He gave me plenty of shot opportunities, but the bobcat season has not started yet here in Oklahoma. It was an awesome experience, it's not everyday you get to come so close to a wild bobcat in braod daylight.
Next, I spotted a young basket 6 and a spike working a ridge about 125 yards to my north. They worked in and out of a tree line and finally disappeared in the trees.
Ten minutes later a coyote walks out in the alfalfa field about 200 yards from me and I began to do my little squeaking noise again. It didn't take him long to come full go towards my direction. When he was fully committed to my location I drew and waited for a good shot. I waited and waited and waited for him to stop. He never did, he came ten yards from my blind and caught my wind and whirled around and took off as quick as he came in, giving no shot opprtunity.
Just after I had calmed down from that experience I looked up and saw a small buck and 2 does walk out on the field about 100 yards from me. While I was watching them, the small basket 6 and spike worked their way towards me. They walked 12 yards from my blind and never knew I was there. By this time it was about dark and time to go to the truck. When I was about 40 yards from the gate of my property a 100" to 110" young 8 point runs right in front of my truck, almost hit him.
These are the kind of nights are the ones that I love. It really doesn't bother me if I shoot anything or not, it is just all the experiences and being out there. It was just a good night of hunting. Figured I would share it with you guys.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:22 PM

Default RE: A good night!

That's what it's all about. Kinda fun isn't it. I guess thats why we all love this sport
so much. I hope I can bowhunt forever.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

sounds like a great hunt, best of luck this season
Old 10-08-2004, 12:56 AM

Sounds really awesome to me,all the animals and woods and just a great time of it. Thanks for sharing Millertime.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome story. Alot of animals in a short time make it alot more fun. I myself have gotten a coyote with my bow and felt that was quite a accomplishment for me. Not as good of a accomplishment as my buck on my wall though.