Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Climbing stand

Old 10-06-2004, 02:58 PM

Default Climbing stand

Can I leave my Summit Viper stand all setup around the base of a tree? In the instructions, it says to bring it in overnight. There are no tresspassers here.
Old 10-06-2004, 03:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Climbing stand

ORIGINAL: zak123
There are no tresspassers here.
There will be now! [&:]

Zak, don't leave it out..... The Summit Viper is light enough to take in and out without any problems. Ladders, yeah. Hang-ons, yeah. But, not climbers. They are too pricey to get stolen!

Butch A.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing is safe in the woods. I sometimes leave my climber out overnight, but I put a lock through the strap adjustments and that locks it to the tree. I have some faith in fellow hunters, but I will not make it easy for the no good SOB that does not respect others property.
Old 10-07-2004, 04:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you hunt till dark and will be back before light it shouldn't be a problem. Only thing is the stand has your scent all over it and now it is at ground level. I wouldn't make a practice of leaving things in the woods though, when you think they are safe they will still disappear.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

I prefer not to leave any stands out overnight unless I put them out right as it is getting dark the night before. However, depending on what type of stand location you are setting up in, you may end up spooking deer in the process.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:01 AM

I got a new Viper as well. What a great climber!! I never leave it out over night. I will leave it at the base of the tree if I come in for a few hours.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:15 PM

Personally, I will never leave a climbing stand in the woods again. Even in woods I thought were extremely safe, I was wrong. I've had a few stolen and don't plan on leaving anymore in the woods. Better safe than sorry.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:22 PM

From first hand experience I will say never leave your Summit in the woods.
Two years ago I bought a viper extreme ultra xls, one sweet stand loved it till the day I left it in the woods while hunting hogs this spring.
No a theif did not get it mother nature did. A really massive storrm blew through that nite and when I returned to the spot a tree fell on to the tree my climber was hanging on. THe other tree slid down the side of the tree taking my climber with it. My beloved Summit was now a backpacker style completly flat and mangled.
I was amazed that in the surounding 50 acres of woods only one tree fell and it was the one that got me.
So theives are not your only worry when leaving expensive equipment in the woods.
As a side note I did buy another viper for this year an X4.
With luck I wont have to buy another ever since I will treat this one with much better care.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:48 PM

I leave my viper on my tree, all season, 120 miles away ....on public land. There are 4 of us that hunt the same area....and there are 4 vipers out there all the time

They are all padlocked with a big cable ....but if someone wanted it that bad they could probably get it with enough work.
It is so much quieter and easier to get in your tree in the dark, that it is worth the cost of the stand if someone steals it. Once I get one stolen....I may change my tune a little.

BUT...I have hunted this area for 2 full season and NEVER seen another bowhunter in the woods.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:15 PM

Thanks for the imformation spm. Makes scouting for climbing stands to steal so much easier. Four Vipers huh? Seems like I need to make a trip to Ohio. Just kidding.

Quick Reply: Climbing stand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.