Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Got one in SC

Old 10-05-2004, 01:11 PM

Default Got one in SC

First buck of the year! I got home late from a lab around 6:00pm so I decided to walk in behind the house just to see what I could see. I had gotten permission to hunt this property (about 120 acres) 2 years ago but had never hunted it mainly b/c I had never seen any good sign back there. Anyways, I walked in about 6:20 and sat in an old wooden stand that I wasn't sure would hold me but it turned out to be pretty sturdy. After the woods quieted down, a bunch of at least 10 squirrels were in a white oak cutting acorns and making a huge racket. Also, this property backs up to a rock quarry, so it stays pretty noisy with background noise. About 7:00, the squirrels all went to nest and the quarry shut down for the night. Suddenly it was dead quiet. I grunted a few times and hit the "can" several times not really expecting to see anything. A few minutes later, I caught some movement to my right out of the corner of my eye. It was a deer coming down an old overgrown logging road. I couldn't believe it! I only had one onening to draw before he went into some thick cover. He saw me when I drew so I froze at full draw for what seemed an eternity. Finally, he started walking straight towards me quartering to the right. He got almost dead in front of me and turned broadside at 20 yards. I let fly and did a perfect double lung shot. He stood there for a second and then crashed off. He had taken 5 or 6 bounds when I heard a big crash. I couldn't see him fall so I took a quick compass reading and waited 10 minutes. When I got to where I had hit him, I saw my arrow stuck in the ground about 10 inches and the fletching was covered with frothy blood. I walked in the direction I had heard him fall and found him within 25 yards of the shot. Needless to say, I was happy.
I will post pics if someone can tell me how to do it.
Thanks for letting me share my expreience.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Got one in SC

Congratulations SCbowhntr!! Here's the picture.

Old 10-05-2004, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

WTG SC!
Old 10-05-2004, 01:45 PM

Buck right? Nice rack?
Old 10-05-2004, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats!! Good Job.

You gotta love those 25 yard tracking jobs!
Old 10-05-2004, 06:01 PM

BTW, he was a 6 pt...not a big buck bbut the first rack buck I have taken with a bow...I am still working on pics
Old 10-05-2004, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Any buck's a good buck ,congrat's to you on your harvest ,hopefully your season isn't over .

nubo
Old 10-08-2004, 10:53 AM

In SC we can take up to 5, but I will probably hold out for something bigger, meanwhile, I can take does
Old 10-08-2004, 11:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Way to go
Old 10-08-2004, 01:39 PM

Great job! congrats.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.