Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shooting a Bow From Stand Question >

Shooting a Bow From Stand Question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting a Bow From Stand Question

Old 10-05-2004, 12:31 PM

Default Shooting a Bow From Stand Question

Hello, This is my first year hunting with a bow and have a question regarding shooting from a tree stand. I sighted my bow in at 10,20,30, and 40 yards from the ground. If i am up in my tree stand do i have to aim differently if lets say a deer is at 20 yards. Do i put the 20 yard site on the kill zone as if i was on the ground, or do i have change the shot due to being in a stand. Many thanks in advance for the advise.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:35 PM

Default RE: Shooting a Bow From Stand Question

The distances will change a bit but I personally do not aim diffrently. What is most important is your form. Draw your bow and bend at the waist instead of dropping your bow arm down. This will make the biggest diffrence in shooting from a tree. If you drop your bow arm your form will change, anchors have a tendancy to change and the arrow dosn't end up where you want it to.

Hopefuly this will make sence. If not say so and I'll try again
Old 10-05-2004, 12:36 PM

And where are my manners

Welcome to the forum!
Old 10-05-2004, 12:38 PM

I don't aim any differently either.

Welcome
Old 10-05-2004, 12:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's the horizontal distance that matters. You can neglect height. So if you draw a right angle triangle and are shooting along the Hypotenuse, ignore the verticle leg and calculate distance on the base.

I shoot ranges with my laser range finder to trees on my height level.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Badatta2d

It's the horizontal distance that matters. You can neglect height. So if you draw a right angle triangle and are shooting along the Hypotenuse, ignore the verticle leg and calculate distance on the base.

I shoot ranges with my laser range finder to trees on my height level.

True, I should have mentioned that I use a laser range finder also, so I know the exact distance.

The distance from your stand is longer than the distance from the base of your tree. Keep that in mind.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:57 PM

It all comes down to form. The key, as several people have already said, is maintaining a consistent anchor and release. I would suggest a range finder if you are shooting fixed pins or you may want to look into a pendulum sight if all your shooting will be from a stand. It will also be a big help for you to actually practice from your stand, if at all possible. It is a very different sight picture 20 feet up in the air.
Old 10-05-2004, 02:02 PM

I second that. Get up there and shoot from an elevated position. I personally aim the same as if on level ground.
Old 10-05-2004, 02:40 PM

Welcome Culpepercowboy.
I don't think you need to worry about the distance but your aim point needs to be slightly different in my opinion. If the critter is 20 yards out and my angle is steep I aim for where I want the arrow to exit. I know this is not a very good description but maybe someone else can explain better.
Old 10-05-2004, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will start off by saying welcome to the forum!!But I`ll third that! Its all about form but you need to get up in your stand and practice! before heading off into the woods after game. Hunting out of a treestand can be a lot different than hunting on the ground like getting used to shooting out of a tree stand [&:]

Quick Reply: Shooting a Bow From Stand Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.