Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Where are they?

Old 10-02-2004, 07:44 PM

Default RE: Where are they?

Zak, how much scouting did you do prior to the season? I know you spent a lot of time with your bow, but how much time did you spend in the woods before season? My problem in the past has been not spending enough time before season in the woods.

I'm inclined to think the deer are using that specific area during the night. This early in the year the deer are still using their summer feeding patterns. Hunt field edges and staging areas and you'll be good to go.

Good luck bud.
Old 10-02-2004, 08:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

Zak, how much scouting did you do prior to the season?
I went a couple of times. My dad sold the area I had scouted and bought a new piece of land. I should have spent more time scouting, but I didn't have the time.
Hunt field edges and staging areas and you'll be good to go.
What is a staging area?

I posted this reply but my computer shut off:

In response to JimboHunter1

The deer travel in the thick stuff where I hunt. The clear path has muddy ground. There are some prints, but not many on the bulldozed path.
Old 10-02-2004, 08:40 PM

I'd find a place where you can see a little farther.

You need to calm down. This isn't always as easy as it sounds on the internet. Have patience, but know when to move.

It takes years to learn this game.

G'Luck!
Old 10-02-2004, 08:42 PM

A staging area would be a place back from the feeding field edges where deer set up waiting for the right time to enter the feeding area.

Think of a school of salmon beneath a waterfall.
Old 10-02-2004, 09:00 PM
Typical Buck

That's a tuff call... I'd wager that the tracks you are seeing are via the cover of darkness. Depending on terrain, the deer in that area could be exiting stage left as you set foot in the brush on stage right. I know several tracts of groud such as this and the hunter entering would never see or hear the deer making their escape. Try to scout back from the core area and find a funnel to set up on. Compare nearby feeding areas to the proximity of the bedding area. Try to set up for a morning hunt, favoring the bedding area side. Are you seeing beds near or in the thicket? Check the wind and make your move for a low impact access route with increased shooting visibilty.