Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Confidence lost.... >

Confidence lost....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Confidence lost....

Old 10-01-2004, 07:37 AM

Default Confidence lost....

I don't get a change to get out hunting/practicing alot, only been hunting for a few years. Home life is busy, wife, 2 young kids, job, etc, etc. Got the bow out Monday for the first time to shoot, hit one of my arrows and tore up the fletching and I also lost one arrow and can't find it at all. Last night I was out again and just not hitting the target well. I eventually find out that my sights are stil at 15, 25, 35 yards, not 20, 30, 40 (don't ask me why I sighted them in that way). I start hitting the target some better, but not grouping them like I should. I was MUCH better last year, my confidence was up and felt good about shooting out to 30 yds. Now, nothing past 20.

What do you guys shoot at while practicing, 3d target or regular target? I've got both.

When you aim, are both eyes open or closing one eye? What should one do? I am used to keeping bith eyes open, but I trying closing one eye last night and seemed to do alitlle better, but can't see where the arrows go.

I seem not to be able to hold the bow very still, would a stabilizer help?
Old 10-01-2004, 07:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Confidence lost....

Don't give up on it Keith, but also don't hunt till you get it together. I have a feeling that you are hurrying yourself right now. Relax and slow down. You may want to spend a few days just getting the feel back. Get right up to the target and concentrate on form and don't aim (well maybe somewhat). Then start moving back. Don't shoot more then a few dozen arrows during a session.

Personally, I shoot with a stabilizer, but there are some that don't. I shoot with one eye open and the other somewhat squinted. But there are top archer that shoot both ways, so do what feels comfortable to you.

If you can't hold still, besides the stabilzer, keep a loose bow grip, and maybe decrease draw weight, don't punch the release, and make sure your bow is tuned.

Oh, one more thing KEEP A POISITIVE ATTITUDE - very important!!!
Old 10-01-2004, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Keith first of all get ready for the slaughter because I have a feeling that you are going to get hammered on this one. Let me start off by saying that you can't break your bow out the week before the season opens and plan on being on the top of your game come season, you need ALOT more practice. I personally shoot with both eyes open but I know a lot of people that shoot really well with one eye open.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:59 AM

Kieth,

THe reason, I believe, that you're not steady is that you've lost muscle tone. The muscles used for bows aren't used for very many other things. Practicing will re-develop the muscles, and you should be able to hold steady in a relatively short time.

There are two different schools of thought regarding eyes open/closed, but I don't think there's a definitive answer - it seems that you should do whatever is best FOR YOU.

As far as seeing the arrow, the answer is pretty simple. You're looking at the target, but the arrow isn't hitting where you're looking - no wonder you can't see it. Once you start hitting where you're looking, the arrow will pretty much "appear" there. I shoot with an eye and a half open (like BobCo).

I would suggest strting as close as necessary to consistently hit the target where you're aiming. THEN back up. This will allow you to see the arrow, and the practice will develop the muscles so that you can move back.

In other words, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. And please, in the interest of a quick, humane, and ethical kill, don't go into the woods until you are TRULY READY.
Old 10-01-2004, 08:09 AM
Dominant Buck

Get your ANCHOR Point set at 15 yrds. Nothing wrong with a 15yrd pin. Then work your way out. I find if your bow is tuned and your shooting bad, your anchor point is moving. Just a little change on each shot makes a big dif out at the target.

When you hunt and you first get situated in your stand, mentally think about the shot. Walk through the smooth draw, Anchor point, and follow through.
Take your time. You still have 1 month before bow hunting is at it's best.
Old 10-01-2004, 08:18 AM

yeah it doesnt matter what you practicing shooting at as long as you are practicing.

I am in the same boat with a busy life, wife, kids etc but i still try to get to the range twice a week for long range practice (20 yrds +) and i set up a 10 yard mini range in my basement where i can shoot after the kids go to bed and at the very least practice my form.
Old 10-01-2004, 08:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

keith there are 2 things that will help, one is the stablizer, but what will help you more than anything is to stop trying to see the arrow hit, what you want to do is to keep the sights on the target after you release, when you are trying to see the arrow hit, beleive it or not you are moving either your head or the bow before the arrow has totally left the bow.
Old 10-01-2004, 08:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

When you hunt and you first get situated in your stand, mentally think about the shot.
Visualizing is a great point which is not often mentioned. Top athletes in almost any sport practice this. But you don't have to be in your stand, you can do it anywhere. Visualze your form, and shot whenever you get the chance.

but can't see where the arrows go.
That's actually good, you should not try to. I purposely have some arrows with all black fletchings just for that reason! Watch the target, not the arrow.
Old 10-01-2004, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Keith These guys are giving some really good advice!! I shoot with both eys open but a lot of people don`t like some others have sead and are very good shots.I also have four deferent type targets that i shoot 3-D the "block" and two bag type targets.But (IMO) the target is not the problem. You are starting so late practicing and trying to rush through everything. Take your time to sharpen your shooting skills.And i would not enter the woods untill i had everything down and was confident with my shooting. Its just the ethical thing to do.(IMO) good luck.
Old 10-01-2004, 09:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Take your bow to the local pro-shop and make sure everything is set up right.
Once you have confidenec in your equipment, you can review your form and such with a video camera and a tripod.

Relax, have patience, and don't push yourself to be ready for the opener. There are better hunting days ahead (rut). Practice get your confidence and enjoy the season.

Quick Reply: Confidence lost....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.