Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Another bowhunting moment >

Another bowhunting moment

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Another bowhunting moment

Old 09-30-2004, 07:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default Another bowhunting moment

Well, I'd been hearing the tales from the hired men about a real brute in my hunting location. Went hunting last night. Beautiful evening, no wind and I had taken all scent precautions. Had a fawn bed under my stand and was watching several does and two young bucks in the alfalfa field in front of me. Behind me is a thick area of woods used by the deer for bedding. I heard a very light snap and (dang it) instictively turned my head completely around through the tree to see him. A giant ten point. He's staring at me at twenty yards. Well we now are in the usual stare down. After at least five minutes I can't hold any more. My neck is burning and I'm shaking like the girls at Hooters. The dang deer will not move. Finally, I give up and turn my head about two inches, glance back and see his tail moving away. He didn't run, but I was definately had.

Now what? I'm thinking of moving my stand. I believe I just gave a refresher course to an already educated deer. What do you think?
Old 09-30-2004, 07:44 AM

Default RE: Another bowhunting moment

[&:] BUMMER, but maybe all is not lost. You have all season to get him back so don't give up!!
Old 09-30-2004, 07:46 AM

Yes.... you might try to set up a little further back in the woods along the trail ...might catch him as he comes in to check.... just a thought if not i would try to find another stand loc alond one of his trails
Old 09-30-2004, 07:56 AM

Sorry to hear that. I guess I would set up nearby, along a trail or in the area you think he came from. Its a good bet, if he comes by that stand again he's gonna look up for you first. I dont think all is lost and your chances are still pretty good. Good luck!
Old 09-30-2004, 08:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, if you want him, move your stand, since he saw you there he will look in that tree every time.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would also move the stand back down the trail he cam from just a little ways. However, I would wait a few days before I went back in there and then I would move the stand the day that I went into hunt next.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:16 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the input guys. I will move my stand this weekend.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:29 AM
Fork Horn

You might also try going higher.
It seems that a slow neck turn should go unnoticed if 1. you were high enough and 2. he had no other indication that you were there.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

Mr. D,

I agree that I would like to be higher with all my stands. However, I had a strap on stand break a couple years ago and I had a near death experience (another story). So for me and my son I will use nothing but ladder stands. They are not nearly as versatile, but I feel safer, and feel better about my son hunting in those same stands. Good thought though.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:38 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: silentassassin

I would also move the stand back down the trail he cam from just a little ways. However, I would wait a few days before I went back in there and then I would move the stand the day that I went into hunt next.
I agree with moving your stand in the direction that he came from and went back to. However, I wouldn't put it right on the trail and I DEFINITELY wouldn't walk on the deer trail. This deer will be checking for any sign of you. Perhaps the rut may cause him to slip up and allow you to ventilate him. Good luck and keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Another bowhunting moment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.