Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Horizontal vs Vertical pin sights >

Horizontal vs Vertical pin sights

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Horizontal vs Vertical pin sights

Old 09-30-2004, 06:57 AM

Default Horizontal vs Vertical pin sights

I'm looking to get a new sight.My sight now is rectangle with 3 horizontal pins.
I want a better field of view.Does the circular sights offer a better FOV compared to the rectangle?
Also in your opinion which 3 pins give a better field of view Horizontal or vertical?Thanks
Old 09-30-2004, 07:05 AM

Default RE: Horizontal vs Vertical pin sights

I have a Pendulum sight so I only have 1 sight pin.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:15 AM

my accuracy greatly improved when i went to a circular sight window, the circular window made it much easier to consistently line up the sight window with the peep.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

The round window of a sight gives you a feel of a scope....mostly in your mind but archery is very mental and if that helps, it helps. I still shoot the square pin sight made by Hoyt.....as for pins, I perfer the horizontal pins vs the vertical pins lined up one behind the other. The reason is pin gapping. Shooting competition for so long I'm trained to pick a mark, be it a nock, hole, color change, hair or what not, the vertical pins don't allow you to gap and still see the mark you are aiming for. IMO
Old 09-30-2004, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto what Rob said.

Question....do you shoot with both eyes open?
Old 09-30-2004, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have used both types of pins and for me I like the vertical much better. It does allow you to see more of the target. Maybe see if you proshop will let you try both. Then you can see what looks and works better for you.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:27 AM

I prefere the horizontal pin sights myself. Actually I prefere a movable scope sight like the Sightmaster or something like that, but not for hunting. It's too easy to shoot at the wrong setting in the field. I will admit that I have never used one of the verticle pin sights, but I look at them every time I go to Cabela's and am just not impressed to be honest. I think you have a better view with the horizontal pins myself. And I like to practice at odd yardages like 50 yards and I only have a 40 yard pin. You can use your 40 yard and 30 yard pin to estimate where to shoot at 50. I think this would be hard with the verticle pin sights. Plus they would cover up the centerline of the target, making it harder to shoot between pins, I don't like that.

As far as the shape goes, it doesn't matter to me. I don't sight that way, even if I use a peep. I currently use a no peep any way though. I don't even notice the housing of the sight when I shoot. I also shoot with both eyes open.

Paul
Old 09-30-2004, 04:52 PM

Amen on the Vertical Pin Sights and Amen on the circular sight windows. I shoot a trophy ridge flatliner. It has fiber optics all the way around, it is very visible in low light. Plus, with the vertical pins, you can find inconsistancies in the shot,
Old 09-30-2004, 08:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

My question then for vertical pin shooters is this....when target shooting and shooting at a small target like, let's say a buddy's nock and let's say at 25 yards....I assume you have to hold your pins just off to one side or the other to see the target because your vertical pins don't have a pin gap and will block the target, thusly never giving you the opportunity to hit the target....that's not accurate enough for my liking...what do you do?
Old 10-01-2004, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rob - My son would kick my a$$ if I started shooting at his nocks. I do see your point and with that I would have to say that vertical pins would not be the way to go if you were shooting targets. For hunting I find the vertical pins to be much better because I can see more of the deer. Guess now I will need a second bow with horizontal pins for shooting targets. Man won't the wife be happy to hear that.

Quick Reply: Horizontal vs Vertical pin sights

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.