Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Feather shooters. >

Feather shooters.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Feather shooters.

Old 09-29-2004, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Feather shooters.

This is for those of you who shoot helical feathers. I know this type of fletch makes a wizzing noise when shot. Do you think that deer you have shot at have ducked because of it? I don't shoot tem I was just curious if a deer could react to this.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:41 PM

Default RE: Feather shooters.

If you can hear it then the deer can deffinately hear it. The question is, how long from when you release to when the arrow makes contact will the deer be able to react? If you're shooting a slower lower poundage bow then yeah, a deer probably could jump string (especially on a 30+ yard shot). If you shoot a super fast bow and short distance then the chances of the deer jumping or ducking the string are slim.

Old 09-29-2004, 05:07 PM

Never been a problem for me. Ill take a little noise from feathers over a vane any day.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

The click from a release and bow noise is a lot louder than any properly fletched feathered arrow I've ever heard. Outside of fluflu arrows and those 5 1/2" magnum banana cut feathers, of course.

Most people use too much helical on their feathers. When air can't flow around and between the fletches it can't help but make noise. Also, feathers that have been shot and softened up - I think of it as 'broken in' - are a lot quieter than new feathers.

Yeah, you CAN fletch up feathers so that they're noisier than vanes. You can also fletch them up to shoot just as quiet as vanes. IF you know what you're doing.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:57 PM

Occasionally I have a practice arrow that makes noise after fletch gets frazzled
from shooting alot. OTHER than that there very quiet
Old 09-29-2004, 06:29 PM

Well, I've rumor that the noise from a feathered arrow stays behind the arrow, in other words, the arrow gets there before the sound....This always seemed kinda hokey to me....the speed of sound is much faster than my arrow for sure. I just switched to feathers, and to get my Muzzy to fly good, I did have to fletch it helical, and am still playing with things to see what's what. They do make a bit of a hiss, because I stood down range and, well, it's a long story, but we were PERFECTLY safe during this test, but I did hear the feathered arrow over the plastifletch. BUT, it is not very loud, in fact, I heard the bow much better than the arrow, and the bow was 25 yards away, and by the way, my Hoyt is pretty quiet. In addition, I shot a deer opening day and she had no idea of what just happened to her. I will be staying with feathers.

And yes, the more your feathers are ruffled, the louder they will be.
Old 09-29-2004, 06:35 PM
Typical Buck

Hey Arthur.......IYO....are these fletched to much?

Old 09-29-2004, 09:14 PM

Yea mobowhuntr, about the arrow being faster than the sound that is total bull crap.

speed of sound 343 m/s= ~1,125 fps.

Although this could be true given that I hear that the 05 bowtechs will be shooting around this speed.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot feathers but dont notice excessive noise UNLESS they are tattered and beat up.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Can't really tell from that angle, mrfritz, but it does look a little excessive to me. Look at the fletches from the nock end. If you can't see space between the tail end of one fletch and the leading end of the next one, helical is wrapped tighter than it needs to be.

They'll stabilize and shoot great like that, but the same drag that stabilizes them so quickly will slow them down faster and be a good bit noisier. Which, incidently, is the two big reasons people regurgitate when they say vanes are better than feathers.

I use just enough helical to seat the quill on the shaft - plenty of clearance between the leading ends and trailing ends - and my broadheads fly great.

Quick Reply: Feather shooters.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.