Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Will you take a straight downward shot? >

Will you take a straight downward shot?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Will you take a straight downward shot?

Old 09-28-2004, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Will you take a straight downward shot?

Will you take a straight downward shot? Just looking for opinions. I know a lot of ppl who would and probably equal amount who wouldn't.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Will you take a straight downward shot?

I've been practicing a shot with my target from 2 to 3 yards from my tree and 20 ft. up. Man.........thats not an easy shot. I can do it fine but gees do you have to contort your body! I've been practicing it alot, I know I can execute it, but I highly doubt I would ever use it! I strongly feel I'd be better off letting the deer go past and shoot further out at 15 to 25 with a better angle!

Good Luck!
Old 09-28-2004, 07:53 PM
Fork Horn

Aim straight, hit spine, DOWN. Short tracking. Nice shot!
Old 09-28-2004, 07:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

I seldom have a treestand set up where a deer should walk directly beneath me.......I do practice like Vaughn said at about 2-3 yards away and know exactly where to aim and how to do it, but it is a shot you must practice. Anything steeper than that and you are really flirting with 2 halves of a deer and it would be real easy to shoot straight down one lung.
Even a 2-3 yard shot NEEDS to be practiced because it is VERY different from a normal treestand shot, and can't even be compared to standing on level ground unless your trying to shoot your toe off.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:02 PM

At this point in time - absolutely not. It isn't a shot I practiced over the summer because none of my stands are set up in trees with those shots possible. I had to cut through this rose bushes in order to get to most of the trees I wanted to hang my stands in. Next summer I may practice the shot, but right now I wouldn't feel comfortable taking one.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

I seldom have a treestand set up where a deer should walk directly beneath me.......I do practice like Vaughn said at about 2-3 yards away and know exactly where to aim and how to do it, but it is a shot you must practice. Anything steeper than that and you are really flirting with 2 halves of a deer and it would be real easy to shoot straight down one lung.
Even a 2-3 yard shot NEEDS to be practiced because it is VERY different from a normal treestand shot, and can't even be compared to standing on level ground unless your trying to shoot your toe off.
Well said.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't feel comfortable taking that shot. I'd wait for a better opportunity.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:44 PM
Dominant Buck

I have and it's worked.... but I don't like it. If it's straight down all you have to do is wait until it walks away a bit. I had a really nice doe the other day with her nose stuck to the tree I was in. She smelled where I rummaged around on the ground and handled the tree putting on my stand. She did look up twice but figured I was nothing. She finally walked off. Next time I think I'll shoot her. Been a while since I stuck anything.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:16 PM

no sense in risking it...just wait a few minutes until it walks a few yards out.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:13 AM

Did this last year, only shot I had. She walked right at me. I waited for her to angle away but she came right underneath me so I tried to spine her. Just missed, but if you want to see the damage, look here : not for the meek (but that's not us now, is it).

http://www.spacestar.net/users/trashman/rockethead.htm

Quick Reply: Will you take a straight downward shot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.