Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anyone else feel like this? >

Anyone else feel like this?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone else feel like this?

Old 09-28-2004, 09:47 AM

Default Anyone else feel like this?

I love to hunt and fish by myself. Now, I have a son and I love to go with just him or him and my dad. I have friends that keep pestering me and try to go with me on every trip to the water or woods. If I just don't tell them, they give me a hard time about why I didn't ask them along. In my head I'm screaming, because I want to hunt with my kid and not you. I enjoy time with them too and they are good friends but, jeeze, sometimes I'd like to go it alone!!!

Anyway, anyone else feel the same way?

Greg
Old 09-28-2004, 09:55 AM

Default RE: Anyone else feel like this?

I think if you tell your friends that you're going with your son or your dad and they still pester you, tell them, No, this is time I get to spend with them, alone. If they still have a problem with it then, it's their problem, not yours.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:58 AM

If they are truly your friends, they'd understand that it is more important for you to spend time in the field with your family. Sounds a bit like they are using you for something, whether it be your skills, equipment, knowledge, hunting and fishing spots, etc.... They should understand that family comes first.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'd rather be alone in the woods
Old 09-28-2004, 10:32 AM

be truthful, just tell them that you are taking your son for some valuable family time and that you will contact them to go another time.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:09 AM

I'm kinda in the same boat having a 2 year old. I guess the biggest difference is no one wants to go hunting, they all want to go to the bars. [:@]

I'd be completely honest with them. Let then know how you feel and I'm sure they'll understand. They also won't feel like you're ditching them if you don't call them before you go afield.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had the opposite experience. I had a life long friend who began only wanting to hang out for hunting but never to do anything else with. We've recently parted ways.

I guess everyone's desires are different. Your friend probably craves time with you and as long as you are honost with him he should be happy to take the time that you offer him and let you be the rest.

My friend couldn't be honost with me and it ended up destroying our entire friendship.[&o]
Old 09-28-2004, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a guy that would glom on and invite himself along everywhere I went. He would try to invite himself to my families deer camp and that would have been a nightmare because the guy is obnoxious. My Dad and brothers would have never have let him live through the trip. I just told him that it was a family tradition and time together and that he could not go. He tried to use guilt to manipulate me but that NEVER works with me. I got to the point that I hoped he would never talk to me again. You don't owe anyone anything except your son and Dad. You owe them every chance you can to spend time together. Friends come second. And if you want to hunt alone, you owe him nothing still. Just don't tell him you are going.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:59 PM

I have tried the family time thing and being honest he backs off a bit. But right back at it next time. I deal. I just wanted to know if others felt "protective' of their time alone or with family.

Greg
Old 09-28-2004, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just wanted to know if others felt "protective' of their time alone or with family.
Yes I do.

I no longer hunt with anyone except my Dad, Son and/or Nephew. I was a part of a deer camp with some other guys but NOTHING compares to family in the hunting camp. You have a fine young man there and you should enjoy every chance you can to go hunting with him. My son is 16 and between hockey, girls, school, girls, working and girls he just doesn't get out with me as much as I would like.[]

Quick Reply: Anyone else feel like this?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.