Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 !@#$%^&  Bow shop >

!@#$%^& Bow shop

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

!@#$%^& Bow shop

Old 09-23-2004, 08:34 PM
Typical Buck

Default !@#$%^& Bow shop

So there is this little local bow shop a few miles from my house and the owner is a really nice guy. I have dealt with him several times and had several problems which i overlooked. He is an amazing shot i could only wish to shoot as well as him and he has taken many great bucks and tons of turkeys with his bow. He really seems to know his stuff. I took my bow too him last year and had him tune it, he puts the rest a good bit lower than the knockin point so my arrow sets on a pretty serious angle. So i end up shooting really low, so i have to sight it in again. Then recently i run out of arrows and go there to pick up half a dozen. I tell him 28 1/2 inches and he cuts them for me. I go home and draw one back on my bow and it is a half inch short, measure it and its only 28. So i get a new rest which i wanted anyway and it takes up for the shorter arrow. I go outside to shoot my neighbors bag target and the first arrow almost passes through, i pull it out and no fletches on it. So im one arrow short, then i shoot my styrofoam target and bam i loose 2 more fletches. Im out shooting my broadheads today and shoot the last three arrows i have and they are all over the place. At first i think man i having a bad shooting day, then i look at the arrows, at least one fletch on each arrow is only attached by the ends they are loose in the middle. Now i have to get five arrows refletched before season. I was wondering if he used glue or spit or what. I have dealt with him for the last time, he is a good guy and a friend of my moms but i have had enough. Im not the only one who has had trouble with him. I may not make opening day. Sorry just venting
Old 09-23-2004, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: !@#$%^& Bow shop

I KNOW EXACTLY HOW YOU FEEL...

WE have the same problems where I am from..

Thats why My friends and I have started doing everything ourselves..

Funny thing is, We took first place in the league we shoot last winter.. and the best part is we shot against them too...

Dont worry.. You'll be ready for the opener...
Old 09-23-2004, 08:50 PM

I know how you feel about not having alot of arrows to shoot i only have 2 arrows myself and no money to go get more
Old 09-23-2004, 08:58 PM

I bought a dozen arrows in the end of spring....took 6 to the range and shot them....one of the vanes of one arrow flew off on it's way to the target. I was a bit miffed.

Later on I went home to check on the other 6 arrows....turns out 3 other vanes on 3 other arrows were not glued on good.

The owner is a nice guy....but I won't be buying my arrows from him anymore. He tunes bows really good though.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:42 AM

I'm on the other end of the scale, the "Pro" shop that I got my arrows at put SO much glue on my arrows I think just dipped the end of the arrows i glue and then set the fletchings on. [&:]
Old 09-24-2004, 02:35 AM

When it comes to my equipment (especially like arrows), I prefer to make them myself. Not only that but, unless you know the pro shop owner or you know he does great work, then don't do business with them. I purchase my arrow shafts and then make my own arrows. This takes more time however, I know that when I shoot them my fletchings aren't going to fall off for no apparent reason.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I started taking care of all my equipment a long time ago. I fletch my own arrows, and install all of my accessories. I will take it to the pro shop to have the string and cables replaced but that's about it. I have a press but it's just alot quicker and easier to have them throw it on for me. You should check into buying a fletching jig. They aren't too expensive and it's fairly easy to do. This way you can fletch you arrows whenever you need to without any time constraints or worries.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:36 AM
Typical Buck

Here's to doing it yourself! I found that it brings alot more enjoyment to the sport than when I had a total dependency on a pro-shop.

I think you'll always have to rely somewhat on a pro-shop, if not just for warranty purposes, but there's alot you can do on your own with some simple equipment and the advice on this and other boards.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:38 AM

I've always said,"Some people stay in business even in spite of themselves".I've operated my upholstery shop for 28 years and I've seen alot of them come and go.If you treat people(customers)the way you would want to be treated,it's very simple.I'm sure those shop owners would'nt like their personel arrows performing like this,so let them know how you feel.You might be doing them a favor...Bob
Old 09-24-2004, 06:47 AM

I have had the same type of experience with my local bow shops. I try to do everything myself, especially arrows. I still have to go to the bow shops for strings and harnesses, but I am looking at a new bow press for christmas.

Quick Reply: !@#$%^& Bow shop

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.