Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 ever been bitten by a snake? >

ever been bitten by a snake?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ever been bitten by a snake?

Old 09-27-2004, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ever been bitten by a snake?

Always be careful in snake country. I have owned about 50 snakes and a friend of mine used to breed rattlers. One common misconception is that getting bit by a baby venemous snake is alot better than getting bit by a 6 foot diamond back. However, this is the total opposite. A newborn rattler still produces enough venom to kill a few adult men. The problem is that they don't have the knowledge yet to regulate the amount that is injected into their victim. Rather, they bite and release as much as possible. Adults on the otherhand have had experience and only release a small amount of venom so they can conserve the rest for when it's really needed. So if you ever do get bit by a baby (in the spring usually) don't blow it off because it's a smaller snake, you could actually be in more danger. Another word of advice for those who are actually out looking for snakes (as I do on numerous occasions) When lifting logs and rocks never use your hand to flip them. Take a strong stick that can be used to hook the rocks and never lift up the side closest to you but rather the far side. This will prevent both you fingers and your shins from getting nailed.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ever been bitten by a snake?

Yessiree!!!!! But we are divorced now