Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I knew it!!!

Old 09-22-2004, 11:08 PM

Default I knew it!!!

Got out for the first time bow hunting this year opened on the 18th had to work or it would have been sooner. The DNR has deemed my hunting areas as EAB zones (earn a buck).
So i went out last night sat in my stand at about 3:00 pm looking for the first doe to come along so i could do my part to control the herd. Didn't see anything till about 5:30. When I hear snap crack I grab my bow from it's holder getting ready to draw and a deer comes out of the thicket with a nice 8 point rack on it's head so all i could do was watch him walk 10 yards away from my stand and off to wherever he was off to. I knew that was going to happen[:@][&o][&:]
Old 09-22-2004, 11:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: I knew it!!!

That sucks, maybe you will get another chance when you can take him, or he will have another year under his belt and be bigger the next encounter you have with him. Have to look at the good and block the bad!!
Old 09-22-2004, 11:41 PM

Sounds about my experience when bow hunting during the ol zone-t early hunts the past few years. Sucks.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:11 AM
Typical Buck

I'm reading your mail on this one. I've been in EAB the last two years, as I'm in the CWD Management Zone, TOTAL BS anyway. Last year I had a mid 130 class 8 point right underneath my climber, and then walked out about 5 yards before turning left to walk down off the oak knob behind my house. Two tom turks were going around the knob, and he stood and watched them go all the way around; the whole time he was dead broadside to me, and stretched around to watch them, thereby opening up his whole rib cage to my view. All I could do was watch him because I didn't have a buck tag yet. Dang DNR anyway, maybe if they'd stop taking kickbacks from the insurance companies to get rid of more deer to keep vehicle/deer collisions down they wouldn't need to start mass panic with this CWD crap to keep the tree huggers from breathing down their necks for the all out and blatant EXTERMINATION of WI's deer herd. I think it's funny how they've always been so quick to brag about how through "proper conservation efforts", they brought the WI herd from dwindling numbers to soaring population, and NOW they seem to want to kill EVERY dam one.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Years ago when Pa. had a doe only season ,thats when the buck show up,You know deer do read
Old 09-23-2004, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will be out this weekend looking for my doe. I too am in the CWD Management zone. Only good thing is we can earn all the bucks we want.

Hey RattleSnake1 - Where abouts are you hunting? I hunt north of Richland Center. We do happen to have way too many deer. Because of this our deer are running very small. We got a 4 1/2 year old doe (aged by the dnr) last year that only weighed in at 115 field dressed.[:'(] I would like to shoot more does but my problem is that if they keep requiring earn-a-buck then I want to make sure we have some for next year. Last year we shot 6 does but only 1 buck. Now we have to start over. I would like to see them give you one buck tag this year for every 2 unused buck tags from last year. I think that would be fair. Then I would have a reason to shoot more doe this season. Of course you know the almighty DNR will never listen to that.[:@]

Good luck all you earn-a-buck hunters at getting that doe BEFORE Mr. Big walks by.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:17 AM

Maybe I'm lucky to be happy just getting out and seeing animals. I'm sure when you've got a shooter in front of you and EAB screws that up so you can't take the shot it's got to be frusterating. I'd personally would look at the positives from the situation. You saw a good buck and had a shooting opportunity. You also got to watch a whitetail up close. I love when I'm able to watch a deer do it's thing in nature. I'm always looking to learn by watching them.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:51 PM
Typical Buck

Hey 402, I hunt around the North Freedom, and Reedsburg areas. I've had good success in both areas, but the biggest I've taken so far came off my uncle's farm by Reedsburg. I agree with you adams about seeing the animals, they're majestic creatures, but when I've done my homework, and I'm in the right place at the right time for once, and I can't take the shot....it REALLY ticked me off. What gets me even more, is the fact that CWD has been out west in the mule deer and elk herds for 50 years or better now, and they can't attribute ONE death or illness in humans because of it; however, the DNR and the damn MEDIA decided to make sound like the Bubonic Plague, and scare the hell out of the general population. All that did was make it near impossible to venison processed anymore at a lot of places, including where I took mine because some old blue-hairs said if they continued to process deer, they wouldn't shop there anymore. Well....you're already on the short track to the dirt nap Betty, so what's the difference?? I'm hoping the DNR stays true to their original plans and that this whole thing would only be 5 years, meaning we'd only have 2 to go after this year. Good luck all EAB hunters.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Rattle, I used to hunt over by lealand. About 1 mile northwest of Natural Bridge State Park. Then we got this 80 acres north of RC and this is our 3rd year there. We bought it just before CWD was found. I have to agree with you about CWD. I really don't think there is any problem with eating the deer in our area. I don't think I would eat one that looks sick but otherwise they are fine. Also you should consider processing your own deer. That is what we started to do. It does cost a little to get the equip. but when you shoot 6 to 8 deer a year like we do it pays for itself quickly. Just split the cost with some hunting buddies.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:37 PM
Fork Horn

Are you sure EAB doesn't stand for Eliminate A Buck? You should read the hunting regs alot closer!!

Quick Reply: I knew it!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.