Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

buck fever ????

Old 09-22-2004, 03:41 PM

Default buck fever ????

I am still a new hunter 1 deer under my belt last season and i still get the shakes real bad. last year it was a rifle and thats one thing but with a bow I might hit a crow in the air instead of my target any helpful hints to help me stay calm would be greatly appreceated.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:19 PM

Default RE: buck fever ????

Take deep breaths try and calm yourself, concentrate on shot placement rather than how big his rack is. The first time you might shake a lot, after that just tell yourself you've done this before. And basicly its just like practice. Good Luck
Old 09-22-2004, 04:41 PM

Honestly, my shakes didn't start until after I had released the arrow. When I saw the deer start popping out into the field I got that first jolt of adrenaline, but when I drew and settled my pin on her I was completely calm. Once I shot and saw that she was hit good then I started to shake.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO, the shakes are half the fun
Old 09-22-2004, 06:58 PM
Fork Horn

The rush before and after the shot is awesome....makes all the practice worthwhile!
Old 09-22-2004, 07:19 PM

What helped me was getting a peep sight,you focus more on where you want to hit than seeing the whole deer,And I think a big thing is using a 3-d deer target of a big buck.the glen-gel buck is a good one.Helps you stay relaxedwhen you see the real thing focus,consentrate and think of how many times you hit your deer target at home in the kill zone,It all comes with experience,you'll make dumb mistakes we all did and still do,thats what I love about bow Hunting,You'll do fine.Good luck
Old 09-22-2004, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

i usually shake before , then i calm myself down, focus on the shot, then i shake so frickin' bad.....the first deer i shot , i bout shook out of my tree stand....had to hang up the phone and hang on to the tree......
Old 09-22-2004, 08:16 PM

I don't shake if I know I'm not going to take a dear. Opening day I saw three spikes and a small 4-pt., didn't have the first shake. The next morning I drew back on a doe and missed bad. About fifteen minutes later I drew on another doe and she ducked the arrow. I think I was still shaking on the ride back home.

When I stop having the shakes on a deer that I'm about to take or try to take, I'll stop hunting!
Old 09-22-2004, 08:48 PM

I was videotaping my friend from about 50 yd. behind him in another tree. A doe can out and he missed but we couldnt tell what happened on tape because my camera arm was shaking so bad. I have not taken a deer yet, this will be my second year hunting, so I can't wait till that first oppurnunity.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:11 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: MO_Bowhnter

I was videotaping my friend from about 50 yd. behind him in another tree. A doe can out and he missed but we couldnt tell what happened on tape because my camera arm was shaking so bad. I have not taken a deer yet, this will be my second year hunting, so I can't wait till that first oppurnunity.
LOL, been there done that. I don't know why I got so shook up on a deer I wasn't going to shoot, but it happened. Another time I was filming for a buddy and a nice buck walked out about 80 yds. going the other way and I still got the shakes so bad you can't hardly tell it is a deer on the video. I don't understand it and I catch a lot of hell from the buds, but that is why I keep going back to the woods. You just can't beat that feeling anywhere else. I have been playing sports since I was 5 and am in my last year of baseball in college and I have been through a lot of big time games and moments, but they still don't compare.

Quick Reply: buck fever ????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.