Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 shooting out of a treestand >

shooting out of a treestand

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shooting out of a treestand

Old 09-21-2004, 08:47 PM

Default shooting out of a treestand

I have been shoting out of my stand with broadheads but the hight is going alittle high sometimes. Most of the other arrows hit heart and lung. Please give me some tips for shotting at a treestand. I don't want a wierd arrow hitting the spin.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: shooting out of a treestand

Concentrate on your form on angled shots like that......bend at the waist when you shoot to do your best to maintain the 90 degree angle your bow arm forms to your upper body when shooting off level ground.
If you are shooting high from an elevated position, you are either underestimating the distance to the target, or you are more likely dropping your bow arm and not bending at the waist.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

Concentrate on your form on angled shots like that......bend at the waist when you shoot to do your best to maintain the 90 degree angle your bow arm forms to your upper body when shooting off level ground.
If you are shooting high from an elevated position, you are either underestimating the distance to the target, or you are more likely dropping your bow arm and not bending at the waist.

That say's it all....bend at the waist, don't lower the arm, draw straight out as you would on level shooting and bend the waist....
Old 09-21-2004, 10:08 PM
Fork Horn

I would still mark your arrows, make sure you don't have one flying off.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

put your safety harness on and lean out on it, like real life, also your shooting downhill now so it changes things shooting from an elevated position is different than a level ground shot, and don't be
shotting at a treestand
, hope this helps
Old 09-21-2004, 11:55 PM
Typical Buck

What others said are the best practices, but for all my harvests, I just shoot like I'm on the ground. It didn't make a difference. Just one shot and prepare to track and pack!
Old 09-22-2004, 12:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

The way I see it is when you shoot from a stand you are shooting down hill, with gravity. When you shoot with gravity there is not as much resistance on the arrow, and will not fall as quickly, and in most cases causeing you to hit just a little high. I always aim slightly low when shooting form about 20 feet.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Rob. Draw your arrow with the bow in front of you, like shooting from the ground level. Then bend at the waist without dropping your bow arm. You arrow will hit its mark by aiming right on your known yardage. When a bow is drawn in a downward position, your anchor point is lower and you must raise your sights to compensate. This will result in a higher shot on your target. Practice, it works. Honest.....
Hunt safe
Old 09-22-2004, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

remember - the distance to shoot is the horizontal distance (ie from the base of the tree to deer) not the distance you get on the range finder in the stand. this is generally doesn'y make much of a difference though unless you are really high and the deer is very close.

I don't believe the "shooting with gravity" affects anything - gravity is gravity, whether shooting straight up or straight down (??)
Old 09-22-2004, 04:40 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: doughboysigep

remember - the distance to shoot is the horizontal distance (ie from the base of the tree to deer) not the distance you get on the range finder in the stand. this is generally doesn'y make much of a difference though unless you are really high and the deer is very close.

I don't believe the "shooting with gravity" affects anything - gravity is gravity, whether shooting straight up or straight down (??)
I was always under the guidance that you are essentially making a right triangle when shooting from an stand up in a tree (supposing fairly level ground).

That would make the formula the good old A squared + B squared=C squared. C is what you want right?
Example
You are 15ft up.
The shot is 15 yards out or 45 ft.

A=45 ft
B=15 ft
C= ?

Under the formula you square both:
2025 (A) + 225 (B)= C squared

2250 = C squared
Take square root of 2250 and you get:
47.4341xxxxxxxxxxx ft.

So C = 47.4 ft

The distance from the base of the tree is 45 ft (or 15yds) to the target.
The distance from your arrow to the target is actually 47.4 ft (or just shy of 16yds).

That is longer than 15 yds by roughly 2 and a half feet.

Remember this amplifies if you are at 20 ft. Dont forget to add in your height.

Quick Reply: shooting out of a treestand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.