Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 help finding a good spot to set up >

help finding a good spot to set up

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

help finding a good spot to set up

Old 09-21-2004, 01:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default help finding a good spot to set up

hunting spot

I dont know how to put just the image on here if someone can help, and tell me what spot would be good to set up on and why. Thanks
Rich
Old 09-21-2004, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: help finding a good spot to set up

It's difficult to help you by looking at that elevation map. It looks like there are a few ridges that run through the property. I would look for funnel areas (areas where the ridge narrows and forces deer to narrow their travel routes) along these ridge tops. If you can find a saddle (an area where two or more ridgetops meet) it can make for a great area to set up, as usually there are numerous trails that cross here. Anyway, good luck.
Old 09-21-2004, 01:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

WOW, you should be intimate with this area and be telling us why, you, are hunting a paticular region.
I'm not dis'ing you, but you gotta do the leg work. Areas that look good aren't always good and areas that look bad aren't always bad. You show us a topo map and want us to scout it for you from Ohio..or where-ever. Thats a bad, some would say a lazy way, of picking a stand.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but to fully enjoy this sport you got to immerse yourself in it. That means scouting, before and even after the season.
Old 09-21-2004, 01:47 PM

Assuming (something I don't like to do) that the top of the page is North I like the brook above the "H" on the page. There are two high points of land that should funnel the deer and the far side of the brook is a southern faceing hillside. On cold morning deer will head to southern facing aspects to gain the sun's warmth for the maximum amout of time possible.

You'll have to get on foot to see what is really there but that is where I'd start.

http://terraserver-usa.com/addressim...rt%2c+NY+13338

From looking at the aerial photo it looks denser then the surronding woods. Look for transition zones (hardwoods to pines or hardwoods to other thick cover and look to set up near there. This is only a start. I'll quote Davidmil
Nothing beats foot work.
Old 09-21-2004, 01:59 PM
Fork Horn

im not asking you to do the leg work i've been hunting this state land for years and seen one deer its all hardwoods and ive been scouting it every year i see deer crossing the roads all the time ive set up in hundreds of different places on trails and i cant find a main food source and was looking at the topo map for other ways to find them, this is my primary hunting land for northern tier, sothern teir is easiers with open corn fields, apple orchards and so on. im not saying show me where to go so i can just set up and drop one the first time there i'm asking for you to basically look at the map and show me what you would look for because i dont know what any of it means. I'm not even saying there is a single deer there im just saying if there was why do you think it would be in a certain spot so i know what to look for on these types of maps