Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Buddy says he will quit hunting with me if.... >

Buddy says he will quit hunting with me if....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Buddy says he will quit hunting with me if....

Old 09-21-2004, 08:34 AM
Typical Buck

Default Buddy says he will quit hunting with me if....

I go traditional[:@] What's up with that. He tells me it makes no sense to shoot traditional and that there is no way possible I could ever be as accurate as he with his compound and that it is just not ethical. He says he will quit hunting with me if I do. Of course he can bite me, I'll go traditional if I so choose but I couldn't believe how strongly he felt about it. We've hunted together for 15 years. Is this a popular mindset for compound shooters?
Old 09-21-2004, 08:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Buddy says he will quit hunting with me if....

I would think, that you will not go to the woods until you are sure of your abilities. He is just trying to influence your decision. He will still hunt with you he is just playing the reverse psychology card. Good hunting buds are hard to find.

Practice, demonstrate your abilities to him, and then go huntin like usual.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like your friend just doesn't know any good traditional shooters. There are some really good traditional shooters out there. Sounds like a challenge for you to prove him wrong!
Old 09-21-2004, 09:13 AM

I was once in a bear camp with several guys from around the country. All compounds except for one guy. The traditional guy could out shoot ALL the compound guys up to about 35-40yds. I'm telling you he could bust nocks at 35 and under. He also had a photo album full of big game trophies to back it up.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:22 AM

Maybe a twinge of jealousy because he is afraid of the committment it takes to go traditional. Who knows though? Some people are just afraid of change. Show him just how good you are and that will be proof enough..
Old 09-21-2004, 09:24 AM

Is this a popular mindset for compound shooters?
Not at all[:'(] I actually hope to go traditional some day when I've got more time to devote to it. Right now I don't think it would be ethical for me to switch to traditional gear and hit the woods. If you switch and become proficient there is nothing wrong with traditional gear. The Native Americans hunted with this gear for thousands of years and were very sucessful(they survived).

If you switch to traditional gear and are proficient you can hunt with me anyday! It's a bit of a drive but you're more then welcome to if you wish
Old 09-21-2004, 09:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot both and this is what I would do. Where do you hunt? If it is his hunting grounds, and you really like the area/areas, then take your compound for those particular outings. If you hunt in your hunting grounds, or public land then let him know that it is his choice not to hunt with you and emphesis that you are doing nothing illegal and you plan on using the same ethics as you always would. Try to assure him that the bow you choose if only your choice of weapon and is a piece of your equipment, and it has nothing to do with the hunter traits inside of you. I think your friend focuses too much on equipment that he prefers.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:51 AM

Is this a popular mindset for compound shooters?
I also hope to someday go traditional someday. I just hate that a tradition a bow cost the same or more than a top end compound!![&:]
Old 09-21-2004, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wolfen68

{ Is this a popular mindset for compound shooters?}
No! At least not for me. I don`t think after 15. yrs of hunting together and being friends with someone that he would just stop hunting with you just becouse of what kind of bow you use? If he does he is in bad shape. I would also like to hunt with triditional equipment someday. But no this is not the normal mind set of any bowhunter! I would not think so anyways[:'(]
Old 09-21-2004, 09:54 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm ready to switch and will as soons as buying the new bow gets to top priorty

Quick Reply: Buddy says he will quit hunting with me if....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.