Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Descent buck downwind...........no scent control !! >

Descent buck downwind...........no scent control !!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Descent buck downwind...........no scent control !!

Old 09-20-2004, 07:25 AM

Default Descent buck downwind...........no scent control !!

Went out yesterday and saw 3 bucks all downwind !! Funny because I was using absolutely no scent control and my wife had washed my camo in regular ole tide or whatever !! Road to the hunting club with my hunting clothes on !! [] Wind was blowing directly at the deer !!

Well.............I got to be honest ! Deer came from a different direction than I thought (new stand). Wind checker showed my wind was blowing straight toward the deer but going up instead of going low . And once it had blown out of the woods and to an open field it was obviously swirling and comin back another direction (as a doe told me ......upwind and further down of my location) [8D]

Anyway............I don't practice much scent control anymore ! I don't think it is unimportant ..........but I just don't buy into all of it anymore !

Decided to pass on the bigger buck (about a 95-100" 8pt ) @ 30 yrds !! Hopefully he won't get shot by someone else this year !! [>:]

With all the continual scent control topics.............all the people claiming to have shot deer downwind because of scent lok/blocker suites.........I thought some of you might find it interesting that I could have bagged a descent deer (which appeared to be directly downwind) ..........while doing everything you are not supposed to do via scent control !!
Old 09-20-2004, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Descent buck downwind...........no scent control !!

I would say your encounter was the exception and not the rule.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:57 AM

I'm not saying "do as I do" ! I'm more trying to point out that people who get all hyped up about scent lok suites and huge scent programs and say they shoot deer downwind........................that it is probably do to a fluke like me yesterday ! Thermals or whatever...........the wind appears to be doing what "you" think it is.............but really may be different than you think ! You really wouldn't know unless you had some type of wind checker !!
Old 09-20-2004, 08:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Were you in a treestand? That can help you get away with things, sometimes.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

the higher in the tree the better, but there are downdrafts, i have not bought a scent control suit either, but i do try to take precautions, and i'm still having deer walk right under me, anyway best of luck......

m.t.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:32 AM

Personally I wouldn't abandon scent control based on your experience but I have to agree alot of products on the market are hyped. Had you been wearing scent lok you could have attributed it to that.

Foor thousands of years man has hunted without all the modern contraptions, killed animals and survived. Dose sent control help. IMO yes. Is it necessary? IMO no, not always.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:54 AM

Yep' known it for years, anything with a nose on it, can only smell what gets to it's nose.
So your up the tree and your smell is up high, didn't get to the deer's nose, so he could care less.. Yep, I find if you just keep yourself clean and watch the wind you can be sucessfull. PS, I wash my hunting clothes in Tide also. [:-]
Old 09-20-2004, 10:01 AM
Fork Horn

I would avoid using regular (scented) laundry detergent to wash your hunting clothes. I understand that when up in a treestand, you are relatively safe with respect to getting busted by smell. However, unless you get dropped off by helicopter, you are leaving a scent trail through the woods - right to your stand. Just my $0.02.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:11 AM

My Uncle smokes on the ground every day he hunts and he sees deer daily... but when I hunt in the same spots I see nothing .
Old 09-20-2004, 10:15 AM
Typical Buck

"Homemade Scent Killer.......affordable scent management for the frugal bowhunter"

Quick Reply: Descent buck downwind...........no scent control !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.