Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What influenced you to be a bowhunter? >

What influenced you to be a bowhunter?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What influenced you to be a bowhunter?

Old 09-17-2004, 08:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What influenced you to be a bowhunter?

My ex-father-in-law told me that I would enjoy bow hunting tremendously. He saw the passion for deer hunting that I posessed when we gun hunted. I took it up as a challenge, and take up the challenge every year since. Every bow hunting outing is a learning experience if one pays attention. You learn to watch other animals actions as deer are approaching, what to listen for, and how unpredictable a whitetail can be. Just when you think you got em figured out, they through you a curve. There is no sport I have ever been involved in that I enjoy, or get greater satisfaction from. I just hope I can pass this passion and desire for this sport onto others.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:08 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Trushot_archer

"How can you kill them?"
If you want him to have a changed attitude, just have him move to the Mid-Atlantic. I've known countless of poeple who said that when the first moved here. Now they say kill them all.

Why I started bow hunting? I grew up everyday fishing. In middle school I remember doing archery in gym class (I doubt they still offer that today. what a shame). When I got to high school I met someone who fished as much as I did. He hunted a little but we never went out. One day while we were going to an out of biz sale for some department chain, looking for fishing deals, I bought my Bear Whitetail. Played with it and when I got out of highschool I started hunting with a shot gun. The season was too short so I bought an Oneida Tomcat. I've been hooked ever since and gave up gun hunting for deer. I can see the day soon that I give up the compound for traditional.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love being in the woods. I had a friend who bowhunting and ranted and raved about how great it was, how quite the woods etc etc. Gave it a try and was HOOKED!!!!!
Old 09-17-2004, 08:15 PM

My right-handed father took an archery class in college. (it was pass-fail) When I was a kid found his left-handed recurve in a closet. Being left handed and seeing a "big-boy" toy I just had to play with it. I wasn't even big enough to string it but dad helped the first couple time and got me a couple Wally World arrows. I don't remember ever expecting to hid anything, even after weeks of "playing". Then I got a PSE Nova for one of my birthday presents a couple years later. I liked archery even more! I loved how you had to force yourself to relax. I quickly outgrew that bow and didn't shoot anything for a year or two. Then I got a Mathews Feather-Max as another birthday present. Dad agreed to buy the bow; I agreed to outfit it. Then I was in love! I could actually get good groups! Felt like the Robin-Hood-Sniper-Stud, and in a couple months could usually pull my groups of five arrows out with one hand at 40yards. Living Southern Illinois and on a rural area and from a farming area, hunting just seemed like the next step. A couple of years later I decided to hang it on the shelf for 3 years. (another story) And this year decided to take it back up. I don't plan on 'hanging it up' any time soon now
Old 09-17-2004, 08:21 PM

My dad and granfather always went deer hunting and went along some of the times, but my dad went bowhunting also. I started out shooting an old fiberglass recurve just for fun and liked it. A few years later when I was old enough to hunt I bought a Jennings compound bow and started bowhunting and still going every chance I get to this date. So now myself, my cousin and a good friend of ours go out together. Bowhunting is the greatest hunting that there is, going to do it till I can't no more.
Old 09-17-2004, 09:20 PM
Fork Horn

My love for the outdoors and hunting was my driving influence. I had no one to help get me started so I bought Chuck Adam's book on bowhunting, a Bear Whitetail bow and I learned the basics from the book to learn how to shoot and bowhunt. A lot of trial and error involved. Man, that was a long time ago!
Old 09-17-2004, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

i became a bow hunter so i didnt have to wait as long to go hunting after turkey season.....my exfiance' gave me a bow and i figured i could do it, so i did and the rest is history
Old 09-17-2004, 10:15 PM

Mine came while I was sitting in a Double Bull ground blind with friend that bowhunts. We just sat there and watched several deer pass by. Some came within 5 yards of us. Thats what sparked my addiction. All my experiences since then have just clinched the deal. As long as I've got two arms, I'll be bowhunting.
Old 09-17-2004, 10:36 PM

What a great thread!
I started myself on bowhunting. I grew up with all the men in the family hunting but I guess since I was a girl they never thought of me being interested so they never took me along. Way back I did take the hunters safety course but getting married and all kept me from ever going into the woods. When we moved to the property we're on now my uncle asked if he could hunt here. We welcomed him and one day while he was here he said I could tag along. I didn't even have a license or a gun - so the night before we went out and I got my license and a new rifle. Of course I only had a buck tag so no buck came along. But it was exciting and I knew I was hooked. The next year I was watching bowhunting on the Outdoor Channel and I thought that I might like to try it. Went out and found a bow that fit me and practiced as much as I could before the season started in two weeks. I've read a lot of books and magazines to teach myself as much as I could. I love to be in the woods so bowhunting just gave me another excuse to be out there. There's nothing like the peace and quiet. It is much better than gunhunting. You're up close and personal - the deer aren't spooked yet. It's just better. Plus, anybody can shoot a gun, but it takes skill to shoot the bow and to make the shots count.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:25 PM

I have to agree with trushot. Its all about the challenge.

Quick Reply: What influenced you to be a bowhunter?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.