Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow Questions

Old 09-17-2004, 02:58 PM
Host of Hosts

Default Bow Questions

I used to shoot a compound about 8 years ago just for fun, not hunting. I have always been a gun hunter. Anyway I have been looking to find a used bow to shoot indoors at our gun club. Being that it's close to archery season and the bows in the newspaper ads are a bit high and most bows are real old ones, I wondered if you guys had any sites I could go to for used equiptment?

I want a bow pretty much already set to go(not hunt ) to shoot. I don't really want a bow thats 48" axle to axle like a Martin Cougar but something fairly ok. Any suggestion on which bows to avoid would also be helpful.

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2004, 03:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Bow Questions

Do you know your draw length and how much you want to pull? Right or left handed?
Old 09-17-2004, 03:41 PM
Fork Horn

The best place to find used bows is probably E bay. I bought and sold bows there. The one draw back to any used bow espically for someone starting archery will have to be proshop suppourt. If you buy a bow from them they will most likely go out of there way to help you get set up. If you don't alot of times you'll meet Mr Jerk behind the counter.
there are alot of High end bows Like High end guns. Bows like Mathews and Bowtech are really good bows but are expensive. A brand like Renegade is a excellent brand for the money.
I would suggest you go to a shop to get yourself "fitted" and try a few out just to help guide you. Good luck Jim
Old 09-17-2004, 08:10 PM
Host of Hosts

I would be shooting right handed and I think I remember my draw length being 29" 60lbs would be sufficient for indoors

Are Browning Bows any good?
Old 09-18-2004, 07:35 PM
Host of Hosts

I guess this was the wrong place to get advise!
Old 09-18-2004, 07:44 PM

http://www.archerytalk.com has a great classifieds section for used equipment. I'd check their classifieds along with HuntingNet's. Also check Ebay and maybe your local pawn shops.

Head out to your local proshop and have them help you with your drawlength and finging a weight you're comfortable shooting. It would be a big pain to purchase a bow that is a bit too long and a little more than you're comfortable shooting.

Archery shoots at a gun club? Seems like an oxymoron...

Good luck.
Old 09-18-2004, 07:55 PM
Host of Hosts

Archery shoots at a gun club? Seems like an oxymoron...

Some of us understand the need to stick together, besides it's a 50 ft indoor range out of the cold and rain. Never hardly anyone around so its fairly private. We have been talking about starting an archery league there. I know how some of you feel about gun hunters, but come on we're trying to expand the sport in our area. I would think thats a good thing
Old 09-18-2004, 08:10 PM

ORIGINAL: fight4yourguns

gun hunter.
That's an oxymoron! Haha just kidding. Why not bowhunt?
Old 09-18-2004, 08:15 PM

Dont worry some of us do also gun hunt including me. And to answer your queston about browning bows i will tell you that i have had my browning for 3 years now and i love it. I bought it used. It is now 5 years old and still shoots as good as it did the day i bought it. When it comes time to buy a new bow i will definetly buy a browning because it is a good quality bow and not real expensive but this is just my opinion!
Old 09-18-2004, 09:28 PM

Just remember if you but a bow off ebay, especially a Matthews or Bowtech, you will lose the lifetime warranty. Some folks on ebay will advertise them with factory warranty.........BS!

Quick Reply: Bow Questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.