Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Morning alertness?? >

Morning alertness??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Morning alertness??

Old 09-17-2004, 11:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Morning alertness??

follow up to the Caffeine post...

How or what do you do to maximize your alertness in the morning? I know coffee perks you up a little bit in the AM, but being that it affects my shooting, I don't have any before I head to the woods in the morning. Anyone do anything or eat/drink anything that will supplement having coffee in the morning?
Old 09-17-2004, 11:03 AM

Default RE: Morning alertness??

The sunrise always get me going fine!
Old 09-17-2004, 11:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

In a word...Anticipation If that ain't doing it for you, I feel sympathy for you. I am certainly not a novice I've been hunting for the better part of 30 years, yet every day on stand is exciting and keeps my senses on edge.

I'm not putting you down or anything. I just can't imagine getting on stand early in the morning and not being alert and excited by the possibilities of the day.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:10 AM

Start off with a light breakfast that has complex carbs and some fat

beyond that, it can get kinda exotic...try ginko, L-arginine, ginseng(likely to have same effect as caffeine on your shooting), and even creatine

Make sure you drink some water too, mild dehydration has been shown to have substantial effects on the brain's behavior
Old 09-17-2004, 11:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ok if we could get over the RAH RAH you should be alert and overwhelmingly alert in the morning for the mere fact that I am on stand that would be great. "you're not much of a hunter if you can't get up for the moment" YADA YADA YADA. I'm not saying that I'm HO HUM half nodding off in the morning. Believe me I'm as excited and in as much anticipation of the hunt as the next guy. But, you can't tell me physically your body isn't slightly different at different times of the day. If you don't think diet enhances your performance in any activity than you're sadly mistaken. Maybe I'm lucky for being able to be honest with myself and recognize that my body needs something in the morning so I can be the best I can be out there.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:19 AM

How about a dip of apple skoal?
Old 09-17-2004, 11:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Easy big fella..as I said I'm not putting you down at ALL. Sorry about the rah rah speech..obviously your caffeine is kicking in today.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:27 AM

I stay alert due to anticipation and the fact that I am 20' off the ground[8D], But I have had days where I was tired. In that case I try to keep my brain active. I'll guess yardages or just try to find something alive like a squirrel or bird tofocus on.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:34 AM

being that i only get about 3 1/2 hrs of sleep the first few nights(2nd shift) i do drink a cup of coffee, i also stretch out before i leave the house and when i get to the farm , get the blood flowing to all the limbs. tried caffine pills once, almost shook the leaves off the tree.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

eat an apple or 2. They pak a powerful wake-up punch, and are healthy also.Taz

Quick Reply: Morning alertness??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.