Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Not trying to stir controversy ..but.. >

Not trying to stir controversy ..but..

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Not trying to stir controversy ..but..

Old 09-17-2004, 02:19 AM

Default RE: Not trying to stir controversy ..but..

I love it, especially in the duck blind. When my freezer if full I have several locals that even try to pay me for deer. I am always happy to give to those who want venison
Old 09-17-2004, 06:56 AM

I love vension!!! Any way you can cook it, I love it. Can't wait for the season to start - 2 weeks from today!!!!! There's not a lot of things better then fresh vension tenderloins.
Old 09-18-2004, 10:30 PM

I love venison its a treat
Old 09-18-2004, 11:33 PM
Typical Buck

I give an equal share of all the meat I kill, no matter where, to all the land owners I hunt on. That's the ONLY meat I give away.

IMO, the dead beats on welfare are already getting fed on my dime and they don't desearve venison.

I only kill what I can use and I use what I kill.

I don't like the idea of people killing game animals just so they can give it away but you don't have to satisfy me. I also believe you paid your way when you bought a license and did the work to get the meat. You can do what you want with it, it's yours, no matter what I like or don't like.

Whew, glad that's over.

The first thing to prevent gamey taste starts long before you get out a skinning knife. A bad shot that causes an animal a lot of stress is going to be gamey. There is not much you are going to be able to do to help it.

Next, the removal of all fat will much reduce any gamy tendency provided it died quickly.

If both these are in line and a competent gutting and butchering job is done otherwise, you can't hardly make them taste bad if you tried on purpose.
Old 09-18-2004, 11:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can't say that I love it, but a few ways I've found to prepare it sure can't equal any other meat on the planet. Namely, smoked summer sausage, smoked jerky, and pan fried nut encrusted boneless chops sauted in a good merlot, (my family nearly fights over that stuff).
Old 09-19-2004, 12:35 AM

ORIGINAL: Fieldmouse

I don't care to eat deer anymore. I just don't have the time to deal with it. However, if you want to improove your meat quality start baiting with corn. Steers before going to slaughter get feed corn to sweeten and fatten up the animal. Before that, they just graze in the fields.
If the only corn the deer are eating is the bait, it won't be enough to change the flavor of the meat. They just pass by for a few bites here and there to supplement their diet. They don't live off of it.
Old 09-19-2004, 01:10 AM

Too many posts to quote here, my thoughts

You are what you eat. My wife (girlfriend at the time) said she did not like venison (city girl). She had tried it prepared in every way possible (I guess to cover the gamey taste). I just threw some loin on the grill and cooked it medium, her tune has chaged

Nice, west central WI corn fed venison, you can't get much better than that. Some of my friends hunt way up north in WI, and it does have a bit of a gamey taste. The Brats were actually terrible, but I don't think that they had mixed it too well.

If you don't like it, that's cool, as long as someone eats it, food shelters are great.

A lesson I was trying to get accross to my 5 year old today. His first hunt!!!, we were checking out our woods, and I just took the 22 out as not to scare him. We saw boatloads of animals, and he just wanted me to shoot them. Several long converstaions and alot of sitting later, I shot a couple of nice fix squirrels. After a few pics with Jake, I cleaned em up, telling him that if you kill it, you don't waste it, you eat it!

He seemed to get the idea, quite proud of him. Another hunter, gotta love it!

The Trashcanman
Old 09-19-2004, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't have the knowledge or the tools to do it.
Badatta2d,

im not tryin to be an @$$ but what your sayin is that you dont have the knowledge to cut the fat off the meat? or the tools {a knife} to do it? after your done try puttin some season salt and garlic powder with some worchestire's steak sauce on the burger or steak. its delicious.
Old 09-19-2004, 02:58 PM

This week in my university newspaper (I'm a senior) there was a story about me!! It was about how I didn't buy beef at the grocery store for about the last year. I pretty much made it off venison, wild pork, fish, and wild turkey that were harvested rather than store bought. It made me a better hunter, and a better cook. I did buy the occasional burger at the fast food joint, but ground beef, for example, really turns me off after my girlfriend tested it in microbiology (nursing student). I would never eat processed meat again if I could pull it off. We always butcher our game ourself, but we have a small cabin, which gives us and extra kitchen and freezer to use and make a mess out of without messing up mom's kitchen...lol....I don't see anything wrong, though, if someone wants to hunt and give away the meat. You may just not like it.
Old 09-19-2004, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

here's my 2 cents, for what it's worth:

1) I've never had a bad peiece of venision - of course there are times when some is better than others and obviously different cuts are better than others - to me it's all good
2) as long as the game is used (by somebody) what's the difference who's shoots it - many people love to be in the outdoors, with family/friends, enjoying nature, etc. but don't necessarily like to eat the meat; as long as it's not left in the woods to rot, its good use of the animal

hunt for what ever reason you like, use the meat or give it away - just have fun and respect others and the game (oh, and show someone else the fun of hunting)

Quick Reply: Not trying to stir controversy ..but..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.