Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 who really pratices? >

who really pratices?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

who really pratices?

Old 09-16-2004, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: who really pratices?

I'm all for putting meat in the freezer. I will pass on fawns, yearlings and button bucks. I try to put 2 does in the freezer before even trying for a buck. However if one happens to wander close enough before I have my doe(s) I consider that a bonus. In my WMU we have a 4 points on one side antler restriction.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:22 AM
Typical Buck

I like the meat, so I don't shoot the small ones. I can't eat the horns, so I will take a doe at the end of the season or a basket rack if I can. I can't afford to buy beef all the time, so this cuts down on the old grocery bill. I hunt for trophies until late December.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:57 AM

I think it depends on the place you are hunting and what you are aiming to accomplish by being out there. Many places you hunt now you have so many hunters around you that if you don't shoot it they will. If you intend on eating what you shoot and it satifies you and your family then go for it. That is how I look at it. Though I will not shoot the fawns.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot both does and bucks -- it's the law here in MD. However, I only take shots at mature deer--even the numerous does which we're allowed. Since we're only allowed 2 bucks, I wait for a mature, 8 point or better with a nice rack before releasing an arrow.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

For me it kinda depends on my mood, if i feel like dragging one out or not. If its a monster buck then he is gonna get it for sure, i am at that trophy stage in my life. If i need meat, then the first adult doe that comes to me, will die. My family really likes to eat deer, so if they are on me about getting a deer, then ill get one to shut them up and prove to them that i am a great hunter and kill a deer whenever i want to. I hate it when people know your hunter and everytime they see you, there like get a deer yet, get a deer yet, get a deer yet?? Im like no!!! They just dont understand i am not going to shoot deer for the sake of killing a deer. If and when i kill one, it is all used up and no waste. I really just enjoy watching them sometimes more than killing them
Old 09-16-2004, 10:24 AM
Fork Horn

i think its pretty unanomous. i think we all WILL shoot does for the MOST part. but no fawns... i will shoot the first doe that walks buy given size.. if its small i wont shoot it. i am a trophy /meat hunter... i dont just shoot anything that walks thru the woods.

i just hate when guys talk about the three does they shot along with their two fawns... [:@] that makes me mad... why not save the fawns for next years hunt???

what is everyones buck limit? i will not shot anything less than an 8 pointer and it has to be a larger 8 pointer at that.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I already did this season! I let an 8-point walk that just was not what i was looking for just to small. But the first doe come up no more than 15-20 later and well i wanted meat so i shot her she ran no more 30-35yrds. I will let a small buck walk any day over letting a doe walk if i am wanting some meat for the freezer!
Old 09-16-2004, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm so tired of people trying to push thier ideas of what I should shoot on me and making it seem that if you don't hunt the way that they do or kill only "mature" deer that you ar some how less of a hunter than they are. If I'm "meat" hunting I'll shoot a young deer because although there isn't as much of it but it's the best tasting most tender meat that there is. I've never understood why someone wouldn't shoot a 6 month old deer but they will shoot a 18 month deer. More than likely a yearling won't breed the 1st year so if you let it live until next year you not replenishing your herd any. JMHO.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:41 AM

I am with Gutshot on this one. I don't give a flip if people think I am less of a hunter because of it. I hunt for meat, not horns. If it doesn't have spots (or have a spotted fawn with it), I will shoot it. Deer are overpopulated in NC anyway and we are allowed 6. Two of our tags are doe only tags. Also, the deer are pretty small here with a mature doe maybe dressing out to 100lbs and an average buck dressing to maybe 130 or 140lbs.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:25 PM

I too don't exclusively hunt for bucks. You can't eat the antlers and southern New York is not known for trophy bucks. I do give the fawns and anything I consider small a free pass.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.