Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Don't shoot dogs!!! >

Don't shoot dogs!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Don't shoot dogs!!!

Old 09-16-2004, 06:19 PM

Default RE: Don't shoot dogs!!!

If you ask me, I dont think you should be able to hunt anything but birds with dogs. Its not even hunting when you have a dog chase an animal up to a tree and then you walk up and shoot it. People who hunt bears with dogs just make me sick. How can you take your good old time walking through the woods talking and laughing, let your dogs run out a few miles ahead of you and let them find a bear and chase it up a tree, then when ytou hear them bark, you walk up to the bear in the tree and shoot it while its just looking at you and cant go anywhere. You call that hunting?
Old 09-16-2004, 06:36 PM

IMO only a complete jackass would shoot a dog with a collar on. unless it was a reacurring situation (which could not be resolved) or truly in self defense.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:37 PM

ORIGINAL: hornbow

ORIGINAL: PMantle

This is the most shocking thread I have ever read on a hunting forum. That any hunter would shoot a dog because if wandered on his land or chased a deer is beyond my comprehension. Of course, many feral dogs are likely better off put down anyway, but you guys would shoot someone's pet?
It is beyond your comprehension because you live in the south where there is no deep snow and perhaps running deer with dogs is legal. In Maine, it is not legal to run deer with dogs and in the deep snow, a Chijuajua can bring down a deer. The deer's hooves cut through the snow and it flounders while a dog can run on top of the snow (especially if there is a crust). They will eat at the hamstrings until the deer can't run and then they will simply eat it alive. Additionally, as I said, there is a leash law in Maine. Your "pet" must be on a leash at all times. There is no legal justification for allowing your dog to roam the woods. If your dog gets shot in the woods, odds are it is your fault for not obeying the law in the first place.

Shooting dogs in the woods of northern and central Maine is not only tolerated; it is advocated. There is a bounty on yotes too. If everyone just let their dogs chase deer, the effects on the deer population would be catastrophic. That is the reason people shoot free roaming dogs. And no, it doesn't matter if it has a collar or not. Keep your pet on the leash as is the law and it won't get shot.

So, if I understand what you are saying, it is fine to kill someone's pet, thereby destroying his property because of the potential that the dog might act on his preditory instincts and kill a deer that belongs to no one other than the State(unless you damage your car on one)?

Leash law? Violation of the leash law justifies killing a dog? Man, this is one eye opening thread.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:53 PM

ORIGINAL: reflexkid

If you ask me, I dont think you should be able to hunt anything but birds with dogs. Its not even hunting when you have a dog chase an animal up to a tree and then you walk up and shoot it. People who hunt bears with dogs just make me sick. How can you take your good old time walking through the woods talking and laughing, let your dogs run out a few miles ahead of you and let them find a bear and chase it up a tree, then when ytou hear them bark, you walk up to the bear in the tree and shoot it while its just looking at you and cant go anywhere. You call that hunting?
Yep, I call that hunting... I don't feel a huge need to explain myself here, but I thought I'd let you know that a squirrel dog (I cannot speak for bear hunting...never done it) doesn't "chase" it up a tree...Usually the animal is already at the tree, the dog trails it with its nose and barks treed when it smells the pharamones from up in a tree. Then you have to make sure the dog didn't lie, you have to find the squirrel up in the thick leaves of a tree before it timbers out or goes into den.etc There are many factors, probably more than when hunting birds with a dog...So how are you saying that bird hunting over a dog is fair if using a tree dog isn't. The birddog finds the game for you and pinpoints it for you, then you flush them, knowing right where they are at. They fly up in mid air right in front of you, usually within yards of you and your dog. You need only have the skills to shoot them. According to your reasoning, this seems like it shouldn't be allowed either...Actually sounds easier than using tree dogs for squirrels...And while we're on the subject, if using a dog to tree game isn't fair, then how can sitting fifteen feet up a tree with scent proof clothing, a lethal weapon, and knowlege that you're on an active deer trail be hunting either You need only get certain ducks in a row before you've got the game on the ground. Maybe to someone the only fair way to hunt a deer is walking around with stick bow or a speer. Maybe some say the only fair way is to use a rifle and put the animal straight to the ground with no running off to die....you see, it can go both ways. Hunting is hunting in all it's forms...My point is not that bowhunting isn't fair, as I am a bigtime bowhunter myself...what I am saying is that if your reason for saying some form of hunting isn't fair, then there's probably something that someone else thinks is unfair about your hunting...Try hunting with a dog and then call it unfair...I can kill a bag limit by sitting on a log, but maybe only tree a few with a good dog. But, everyone deserves their opinion, and I will respect yours, but I just disagree
Old 09-16-2004, 08:07 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: reflexkid

We don't need fellow hunting bretheren bashing legal forms of hunting, that's what the anti's do. Perhaps you should think before you type, or find another hunting forum community.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its about watching good dog work, true you cant see alot fo it but hearing the chase realy gets the blood pumping. I cant realy describe for you the feeling you get when you see your hardwork pay off and that pup starts treeing. I cant imagine how other people hunting in a legal way makes you sick. I could understand that not being your chosen method but making you sick, comon? Its bad enough we have anti's with that attitude but another person who calls themself a hunter feelin that way worrys me.
Old 09-17-2004, 07:17 AM

I own my own land and spent alot of money to do so. Trespassing is trespassing wheather by a dog, human or a farmers cattle. The bottom line is the owner of the dog, cattle etc. is responsible for their control, and my state is specific on landowners rights when it comes to animal trespass but my property is just that: MY PROPERTY! My eye sight is not what it used to be, tresspassers whether human or dog, you better be running!
Glad we're not neighbors!!!

Here's the thing, dogs get loose, you can't control it. I've accidently left the gate open or the door and the dog gets out. Dogs don't know they're "tresspassing", they don't know boundry lines. And how do you know they're chasing deer, they could be chasing coons, or rabbits or squirrels. Or maybe just walking through the woods.

If it's a pack of wild dogs that's one thing, but you can tell if it's someones pet. And like someone said, it's the owners fault, not the dogs. Why would you shoot a dog for the owners mistake.

All I have to say to guys that would shoot a pet is you might want to think twice. If someone shot my dog there would be hell to pay.
Old 09-17-2004, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last year I was in my livingroom and could hear a dog barking on the run. You need to understand that me and my father-in-law own all of the land that surrounds my house. So as he got closer to my house I went and got my Ruger 10/22 and when I stepped out onto the porch a doe was in the creek that runs in front of my house. She had been run so far that her tounge was hanging out. When I stepped out she ran off and whenin a few seconds here came a beagle so when it got to where the deer had been standing I let the Ruger bark. That dog had a collar but was turned loose. You guys say that you can't control when a dog gets loose but you can and it's not our responsiblity to catch the dog or contact you to come and get it. You need to take responsibilty for not being more careful. JMHO
Old 09-17-2004, 09:10 AM

I was brought up to believe that most "pets" would run themselves to death trying to catch a deer, which always seemed sensible to me - a pet dog doesn't run anywhere near as fast as a deer and a dog doesn't have the stamina a deer has.

A pack of dogs is a different story - they can "corner" a deer, surround it, etc. But a single dog seems hard pressed to keep up with a deer, let alone "run it down".

Have I been thinking wrong all these years ? Can ONE dog really chase down a healthy deer on its own ?
Old 09-17-2004, 09:10 AM

ORIGINAL: Ajax

Hey, squirrel/grouse hunters don't bother me much... I think i've had you guyz push as many deer twards me as away from me.

-Good luck this season!
Ditto That

Quick Reply: Don't shoot dogs!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.