Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Popped my Cherry! >

Popped my Cherry!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Popped my Cherry!

Old 09-14-2004, 07:40 PM

Default Popped my Cherry!

Wonder how many Mods came in thinking they were going to have to delete a thread?

Well folks, I just want to let you know that I appreciate all the help you've given me over the past 8 - 10 months, it finally paid off on September 3rd. My internet has been down for a while now and I haven't been able to post anything about it.

I filled my doe tag and have the rest of the early season and all of the late season to try for a buck. What an experience it was though. Adrenaline seekers look no further, I thought I was going to fall out of my stand. I got the shakes when I hunted with a rifle, but what I got this time were darn near convulsions. I don't know how to explain it really, I felt more connected to the animal than any others I've taken with a gun. It was the third day of the season, I had been hunting an alfalfa field in the evenings. My stand was set up about 70 yards from an apple tree right on the edge of the field. I knew there was a buck coming out in the area which is why I had been hunting this corner more often than any other. I had seen the same doe come out both of the previous nights, but elected to pass up the shots. We had been running low on meat and were in between paychecks back at the home front, so when she came out the third night I told myself that if she presented a shot I'd take it.

It took her nearly 45 minutes to zig-zag her way from the apple tree to one of the trails within my comfortable shooting range. Her head went behind a rose bush at 40 yards, I drew then. She stepped out from behind the bush but I kept telling myself to wait a bit longer, that the trail would cross a barbwire fence at 30 yards, and that I'd take the shot after she'd hopped over. When her feet were firmly on the ground again I released. From there I don't know what happened, she took a step, turned, or the breeze that had strated to blow caught my arrow. Long story short, I made a bad shot. I recovered the deer, but the shot was about 7 inches behind where I was aiming.

After the longest 30 minute wait of my life and a short tracking job, I found my deer, piled up under a pine tree.

I hate to admit it, but the night before I had washed my pack with my disposable camera in it so I won't have any pictures to show. I just want to thank everyone for the help, it didn't go to waste.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:45 PM

Default RE: Popped my Cherry!

Way to go, WH! I hope to be in your shoes within a couple of weeks. Can't wait to see how it feels to get one with a bow.
Great job!
Old 09-14-2004, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats WH. I am very happy for you. The first is always the best. Keep on that buck as I am sure he will show up sometime.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

YESSSSS!!!!!!! Congrats. It sure does feel good! Got my first last season. Good luck!!!! Hunt Hard, Hunt Often!
Old 09-14-2004, 08:57 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats, you are addicted for life now. You are right, there is no better feeling than taking an animal with a bow. Congrats again and good luck for the rest of the season!
Old 09-14-2004, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats......You'll always remember the first one. I killed my first deer with a bow in November 1981 and I can remember it like it was yesterday. I also got the shakes and had to let my bow off..........twice......lol. I drew it for the 3rd time and let it fly for a perfect heart shot. It was a small 9 pointer but to me at the time it was the biggest buck in the world. I've taken a whole lot more since that day but none are as special.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:21 AM

congrats!!!

and don't worry about the long-story-short, on my first (just last year), my exitement drove me to damn near write a novel

again, congrats
The Trashcanman
Old 09-15-2004, 03:42 AM

Congrats! You know how much you lov the sport when youn get "The Rush" My first bow was a little button and I was all worked up and very proud.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

coolbeans[8D]
Old 09-15-2004, 04:51 AM

Way to go WH!! What a great recap of the events. I can't wait till our season begins myself, being a "cherry" myself. Well,so long and great hunting the rest of the season, especially on that buck.

Quick Reply: Popped my Cherry!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.