HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Do you Practice with Broadheads or Fieldpoints? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/72400-do-you-practice-broadheads-fieldpoints.html)

gutshot 09-13-2004 09:48 AM

Do you Practice with Broadheads or Fieldpoints?

I was just wondering who practices with their broadheads and who doesn't. I personally shoot my fieldpoints all summer and then in September I start shooting my broadheads a little. But if they're shooting dead on I'll go back to my fieldpoints and get my broadheads ready for the season. So what do you'all do?

wihunter402 09-13-2004 09:56 AM

RE: Do you Practice with Broadheads or Fieldpoints?

I shot the FP's all summer. About 2 weeks ago I got everything sighted in with the BH's. Now I shoot the FP's just to stay in shape. I have one arrow that was shooting right with my hunting arrows at the cabin with the practice BH on it. I will just shoot that everytime I go up just to make sure all is shooting good.

Hiawatha 09-13-2004 10:18 AM

I shoot my broahdeads all the time. I sacraficed one broadhead from a new package and i shoot that broadhead on all my arrows. I hear all the time that broadheads should fly the same as field points if the bow is properly tuned but i just feel alot more confident if i know exactly where that broadhead is goin to shoot. I guess it just gives me confidence and reassurance.

BobCo19-65 09-13-2004 10:23 AM

I pretty much only practice with my total hunting set up year round including fixed broadheads.

Katbones 09-13-2004 10:27 AM

Basically i shoot a combination of arrows, and since my homemade box doesn't like my broadheads with the razors on, i leave them off and shoot the broadheads bare.

JeramyK 09-13-2004 10:28 AM

I try to keep a 50/50 ratio between broadheads and field points.

Techy 09-13-2004 10:38 AM

I shoot both, but there is never much difference:)

rybohunter 09-13-2004 10:46 AM

I mainly shoot FP's up until a few weeks before the season. I'll tune my BH's to fly to same imapact point. Determine what BH/arrow combination flies best to hunt with and set them aside. I'll still keep a few practice BH's to shoot during the season.

SW Iowa Hunter 09-13-2004 10:49 AM

I shoot field points up until a month before the season. I then switch to only broadheads. Shoot muzzy's so just buy a extra set of blades to switch to to hunt with.

The main reason I switch is that I have found that some arrows shoot better than others with broadheads. I start with a dozen or so arrows and find the 4 or 5 that shoot the best then rank them 1... 2... and so on. I then shoot them at deer in that order.

adams 09-13-2004 10:49 AM

I do the same as you gutshot. I shoot field points for practice and when the season gets near I get the BH tuned and flying well. Then I go back to field points for practice and obviously shoot BH when hunting.