Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Opening weekend " Results " >

Opening weekend " Results "

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Opening weekend " Results "

Old 09-13-2004, 08:36 AM

Default Opening weekend " Results "

Well here in Ga. it was can i say warm, ticks and chiggers were plentiful as were i would say the whiteoak acorns. Anyways to make a long story short say 15-20 deer all weekend and passed on a around 115 inch 8 pt at 25 yards, but did shoot a good doe that dressed at 84lbs so she was around 105-110 lbs and she was 3 1/2 yrs old looking at her teeth, didnt help the team but put some meat in the freezer. High sat was 87 and sun was 85, it was warm

Old 09-13-2004, 08:50 AM

Default RE: Opening weekend " Results "

Thats a good start Trophyhuntr.

I opened my season on Saturday morning. Within 45 minutes on stand I saw 3 small 1.5 year old bucks. Two offered shots at 30 yards and both got the pass. Not quite what I was looking for on opening morning but a rush none the less. The last of the 3 bucks broke off and from the two that offered shots and never reappeared. He still has my imagination wondering why he didn't follow the others. I saw rack on him at 50 yards but t it was early and the light was poor. I could tell he was a buck but that was about it. Saturday afternoon I spied a lone doe that crossed the creek with the others and followed suit of the last buck. She headed North and was never seen again.

Sunday, I can't hunt Maine on Sunday but New Hampshire's opener is Wednesday and then Sundays will be fair game until Mid December.

All in all it was a sucessful hunt. I had a great time without ever flinging and arrow and my expectations are high for the rest of the season. I've never seen 3 bucks on an opener so this was a personal best so far.

Congrats on a sucessful hunt T.H. Hopefully that pass will pay off later in the season
Old 09-13-2004, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hope u got the quirks worked out after not pulling back on a deer all year, should be ready for ol mr big! Enjoy your doe, and good luck!
Old 09-13-2004, 11:38 AM

tks, she should eat good
Old 09-13-2004, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

trophyhunter! - Your not alone. I also took a fat doe on sat 7:30am here in .GA and also passed on a small 8-point 100 class[&:] the ticks are bad here! and the weather is hot![:'(] draging that doe out was rough but did get some early season freezer meat. Good luck to every one this yr!--RTA47
Old 09-13-2004, 02:00 PM

RTA

what county are you hunting
Old 09-13-2004, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was hunting in FULTON CO. Sat-Sun. and i will hunting there this weekend as well. But i will most likely be moving around to heard or troup co. within the next couple of weeks. depending on that hurrican thats should be around this state this week or weekend[:'(]How about you? What county are you hunting?
Old 09-13-2004, 04:15 PM

Trophyhunter, RTA,

I hear you on the hot. I hunted up in Athens (Clarke County) this weekend for my 1st bow season hunt and felt like I lost 20 lbs. I had a hike of about 3/4 mile in to my stand. I stopped to reapply scent blocker each time I entered due to the sweat. I saw 3 young spikes and a young 4 pointer about 8:15 saturday morning. Nothing that evening. Sunday morning I saw 4 does. I drew back on the largest at about 35 yds. I missed big time, first time jitters I suppose. Angry at myself. but grateful for the opportunity to get that first time miss over with.

About 20 minutes later a couple of more does came barrelling through the woods as if spooked by something. Behind them was the same 4 ptr from the previous morning. I drew back on the largest doe this time about 27 yds. I was anxious for revenge of some sort. This time the doe dropped under the arrow. I was ready to go in after that. Totally discouraged, I sat in disgust. I felt better knowing that others have had deer drop under an arrow. I didn't know how I was going to explain the two misses to my uncle and cousin. Turns out, my uncle missed one and my cousin was too busy "fighting the f*&%$#@ mosquitoes" to see anything. I saw two more does come in. These were bigger than any of the others, but neither provided a shot at a decent distance. It was an exciting weekend and time well spent with family and the outdoors. I couldn't hunt Sunday evening, because I had to drive back home to Muscogee County.

The rest of the season I will hunt in Harris County, if things pan out with the land owners.

David
Old 09-14-2004, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

davidhardegree, Stay the course! and don`t` give up. I have been strickly bowhunting for more than 24 yrs. now and i have taken lots of deer, But i have also missed alot to! thats just bowhunting? your nerves is your worst enemy![>:] But sonner or later every thing will come together! I missed the first four deer before getting my first one! it happen`s. But if you think you got the jitters with that doe! Just weight untill you get a P&Y in range!!! Good luck buddy and send some pic`s if you score!!
Old 09-15-2004, 07:39 AM

RTA

I hunt Morgan county, Fulton is a great county

Quick Reply: Opening weekend " Results "

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.