Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 hunting with  crossbow >

hunting with crossbow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hunting with crossbow

Old 09-10-2004, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default hunting with crossbow

During my late archery season I can hunt with a crossbow. Does anyone else every hunt with a crossbow? What is a good type of crossbow?
Old 09-10-2004, 09:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: hunting with crossbow

Can you still hunt with your regular bow? Why in the world would you wan't to switch. If you dont have a bow why not go out and buy a regular bow, then you will be able to hunt early season also.
Old 09-11-2004, 09:39 AM
Typical Buck

I really don't know why you wouldn't just hunt with a reg. bow either, unless you have a handicap. But if you wanna know, I think that 10 Point is the top of the line. I have a buddy that is hanndicapped and that is what he shoots. I don't think he has ever had a problem with it.
Old 09-11-2004, 12:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

WOW
Old 09-11-2004, 02:57 PM

Here, check out his link to another post. It has a few links in it you can check out.

http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.as...ossbow&#734604

Good luck,
Paul
Old 09-11-2004, 03:12 PM

Horton makes a nice x-bow

Old 09-11-2004, 03:37 PM
Fork Horn

I'm pretty opinionated when it comes to the crossbow topic. I won't get into my opinion now but here in Ohio AKA land of the crossbow more than 60% of all deer taken during Ohios archery season are taken with crossbows. That % grows each and every year. Ohio considers crossbows archery equipment like any other type of bow. If I was to switch to something I'd switch to a long bow just for the fun of it. Jim
Old 09-11-2004, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

My thinking is during the late season you have so many clothes on its hard to draw back that bow. With a crossbow you dont have to worry about drawing back.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:32 AM
Typical Buck

That is just part of it, you should be able deal with the elements and overcome all the obstacles. I think a crossbow is damn near like taking a smoke pole out to the stand. I know guys that have their x bow set out to 75 yards. There is a reason you can't enter x bow kills into the P & Y books, it is not considered true archery. I would kick myself if I decided to take a x bow in the woods and had big daddy walk 20 yards in front of me and could have easily stuck him with my bow and had him in the books. But that is just me and my opinion. I don't have to worry about it here in Oklahoma though, the only we can shoot a x bow is if you have a handicap.
Old 09-12-2004, 08:11 PM

As opposed to your years and years of hunting experience? I know many people that hunt with a crossbow that know more about hunting than you may ever know.

They might be easier to learn to shoot, but you still have to know how to hunt in order to get the deer close enough. And you also have to have a clue how to use them in order to hit what you are aiming at. They don't shoot much flatter than the high powered bows some shoot on this site. So you still need to get the deer within 30 or 40 yards (maybe closer) and know where to aim at that yardarge. So knowing your equipment is still a good idea. I used to own a crossbow, 75 yards would be a lot of hold over, you would really have to practice that shot. Actually my compound is more accurate than my crossbow was at 30 and 40 yards.

I'm not saying there are not a bunch of idiots out there using them because they think they are easier and some kind of magical weapon. I'm sure there are, but chances are those people won't see a deer anyway. I see others do the same with regular bows and shotguns. They wait until two days before the season (if that maybe) to get thier hunting stuff around. And may not even fire a round before hand or look thier equipment over. These are the people that it takes 10 years for them to get a 100 lb doe or spike buck. And they don't know why. Granted some people have trouble taking game because of where they hunt, and it has no reflection on how good they are. If you have a limited place to hunt and the pressure is high it makes it difficult regardless of your skill level.

I'm beginning to think you have a LONG way to go before you are ready to hunt.

I agree with the others deerhunter1224, if you are just going to use one because of the colder weather and extra clothes I would just keep using the bow if that is what you were hunitng with at the beginning of the season. Take the money you would spend on a Xbow and get a different bow with more brace height. It would be easier to shoot with more clothes on. And wear an arm protector, they work good for holding your sleeve down when you shoot. And practice the way you hunt. At least try to shoot your bow a few times wearing the clothes you would wear when you hunt. If you think drawing the bow will physically be harder with the clothes, maybe you should consider backing off the poundage some so it draws smoother and easier. It might help. The pope and young thing is something to consider as well, if that sort of thing concerns you.

Paul

Quick Reply: hunting with crossbow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.