Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Head Light??

Old 09-06-2004, 03:10 PM

Default Head Light??

What do all you guys use for a head lamp when walking into the woods? I want a good one thats not that heavy on my head and is bright. I bought one at Gander Mountain but its garbage.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Head Light??

I just walk around in the woods in the dark bumping off of trees till I trip over my pull up rope. Then I just lay there at the base of the tree and nap till around noon and pack er' up and go home

I bought an LED head lamp but the thing is so bright it lights up the whole woods around me. So I don't ever use it for hunting. It wasn't cheap either. I paid around $40 for it. I don't use a light unless I am hunting land I am not familiar with. So when I use one I just use a small hand held flashlight.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:17 PM
Typical Buck

Hey Reflex,
I do not use any light. I slip in and out without alerting the woods to my presence. The only time I use a light is to track, or a flicker when I am concerned there might be a hunter/poacher in the area who might mistake me for a deer.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:55 PM

Reflex-
I bought an Eveready headlight from Wal-Mart last year for $12. It's lightweight and does a fine job.
I've never thought that a light does much to spook deer. Ever seen a "deer in the headlights"??? When you're coming into the woods in the dark, deer can hear you, smell you, and see you even if you don't have a light. Using a light allows you to get into the woods as quietly as possible. A light isn't a disadvantage at all if you ask me.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I second the Eveready from Wal Mart. They are in the camping section. Around $13 and has (1) red LED & (2) white ones. I use the red one while walking to the stand and while getting set up in the stand. I have yet to spook a deer with it.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:49 PM

When I am not really familar with the area or I have to cross an obstacle like a river to get to a stand I use a light. I never tried a headlamp, but my mini-mag light works well.

Bowhunter_45
Old 09-06-2004, 05:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mini mag more than enough, but carry a stronger light as a back-up or to warn distant hunters of my presence. No need for them to get too close.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:04 PM

I too use the mini mag and you can fit them with red transparent plastic ,
works good for me when needed..
I have a head lamp had it for a while it works best for tracking after sunset.dam thing is bright. The mini mag give off just the right amount of light without lighting up the entire forest..
at least thats how i feel about them..
Old 09-06-2004, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

Cant remember where I bought it but I use a head band that has a mag light holder pocket sewn into it.
The pocket is an elastic tube that holds the mag light on the side of your head.
The band opens completely and fastens to itself with velcro and may be worn right over your hat. I use it when setting up my climber or tree steps in the pre dawn time.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:48 PM

go to cabelas.com look under optics/head lamps.My partner has one that has 3 different settings on it,It's a sweet head lamp.I think he paid 40 bucks for it,I'm not sure of the name I need to look myself and place my order.

Quick Reply: Head Light??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.